Read about our hiring process before you complete an application!
Applications for all positions are available in person at Eastern Illinois University’s Human Resources Office (Old Main, Room 2020), Charleston IL 61920 or you may submit an application online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php An application is also available at http://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/forms/Online_App0110.pdf which must be returned in person or by email to email@example.com along with any required documents. Eligible candidates who are Illinois residents will be scheduled to take a civil service examination.
Department of Human Resources – Employment
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
Status (full-time) Civil Service
Eastern Illinois University is seeking qualified applicants for Superintendent of Grounds in Facilities Planning & Management.
Grounds Superintendent Responsibilities and Duties:
The Grounds Superintendent serves as the first line Manager with responsibility for maintaining, and developing plans and designs for landscaping improvements of the campus consisting of extensive grounds and related facilities. The Superintendent manages a large crew(s) of Groundskeepers, Equipment Operators, Arborists, and Grounds Gardeners, and part time student workers in general campus maintenance and implementation of proposed improvement plans.
NOTE: Duties included but not limited to:
- Selects and assigns staff, ensuring equal employment opportunity in hiring and promotion.
- Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of subordinate employees.
- Evaluates and verifies employee performance through the review of completed work assignments and work techniques.
- Maintains records, prepares reports, and composes correspondence relative to the work.
- Requisitions and purchases materials and equipment needed by the crew to maintain the grounds, athletic fields, and complete projects.
- Designs and draws detailed plans for the landscaping of new buildings and development of existing grounds and plantings to improve utility and beauty.
- Prepares quantity and cost estimates on proposed landscape projects.
- Makes assignments to crew leaders or working parties in the development and care of extensive and elaborate grounds.
- Directs the use and maintenance of grounds and greenhouse equipment.
- Schedules and supervises the required extensive operation of snow removal and emergency weather conditions activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED OF THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the methods of caring for lawns, trees, shrubs, and flowers.
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of landscape design.
- Knowledge of soil conditions for the propagation of lawns, shrubs, trees, and flowers.
- Knowledge of training and supervisory techniques and employee policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of equal employment opportunity policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of labor relations and applicable union contracts.
- Knowledge of the methods of caring for Athletic fields and Sports Venues including artificial turf, football fields, baseball, softball, soccer, rugby, and track and field.
- Knowledge of the methods of caring of campus ponds and pond irrigation systems for athletic fields.
- Ability to supervise a crew of workers in ground and facility maintenance activities.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate program and organizational performance in order to assess efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to design detailed plans for the landscaping of new buildings and development of existing grounds and plantings to improve campus utility and beauty.
- Ability to utilize topographical and GIS maps of the facility’s grounds to design new landscaping and improve the appearance of the campus.
- Ability to conduct training, safety training, and informational sessions for a crew of workers.
- Ability to make quantity and cost estimates on proposed landscape projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain favorable public relations.
- Ability to use computers and related technology, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, digital cameras, and tablet devices such as the Apple I-Pad or equivalent.
- Perform related work as assigned.
This position requires high school graduation or equivalent; and five (5) years of experience in grounds maintenance, two (2) of which were in a supervisory capacity. (Credit for college coursework in horticulture, landscape design, or other related fields may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the non-supervisory experience on the basis of one (1) semester hour of college credit being equivalent to one (1) month of work experience.); and as applicable to the position to be filled, eligibility for licensure to use or supervise the use of pesticides under the Illinois Pesticide Act, the category of the license depending on the nature of the work to be performed, and possession of the license within the probationary period.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a civil service examination. To apply, you may submit an application, resume, and transcripts online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Applications must be submitted by May 29, 2013 to ensure consideration.
Eastern Illinois University is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Technical Associate – Enterprise Systems Support position in the Department of Information Technology Services. Responsibilities include: installing, maintaining, and monitoring enterprise storage systems. This would include specialized software for SANs and its corresponding fibre-channel network. The position would also assist in managing systems with Linux-based operating systems and some Windows-based server software in support of enterprise backup and recovery systems, web based system software, and software used for virtualization.
Qualified candidates must have any combination totaling two years from the following categories: progressively more responsible work experience in an IT-related profession or college coursework in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely-related discipline and two years’ experience installing, maintaining, and monitoring enterprise software systems (Linux and Windows), including support of enterprise backup and recovery systems and virtualization.
Preferred qualifications include: Bachelor’s Degree in an IT-related discipline and two years’ experience with Netbackup Enterprise (backup and recovery system), VMWare (virtualization), Linux systems administration, and experience with fibre-channel storage networks.
Qualified candidates must be an Illinois resident and will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination. To apply, please submit an application, resume, and transcripts online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Upon hiring of selected candidate, all valid scores will be removed from this IT Technical Associate register. Applications should be submitted by April 19, 2013 to ensure consideration.
Back To Top
Eastern is looking for energetic, friendly, flexible individuals for various trades positions, including Brickmason, Carpenter, Construction Laborer, Electrician, Pipefitter, Plumber, and Painter,
Eastern is looking for energetic, friendly, flexible individuals to fill in as extra help cooks and kitchen laborers throughout the school year. You will work with seasoned personnel, as well as student employees, as you further your expertise in preparing nourishing and attractive meals and facilitate the operation of the dining centers.
We maintain a pool of applicants to fill various extra help (temporary) custodial positions throughout the year. The base pay for this position is $9.00 per hour.
Eastern is seeking service-oriented, student-centered individuals to serve as substitute drivers for the Panther Shuttle Service. Drivers are required to operate various vehicles depending on need. Typical vehicles include 24 passenger buses and 7 to 15 passenger vans. The shuttle service runs on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 7:30 a.m. to midnight; Thursdays and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.; Saturdays from 2:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.; and Sundays from 2:00 p.m. to midnight. Applicants must present a valid Illinois Commercial Driver's License with "P" (passenger) endorsement, a current medical examination certificate, and an Illinois Driver's Abstract at the time of application. Effective oral and written communication skills must be demonstrated. Applicants who are hired must pass a background investigation and drug test and will be subject to random drug testing throughout employment. The base pay for these positions is $11.25/hour. Review of applications begins immediately.