Civil Service Positions at EIU
Read about our hiring process before you complete an application!
At Eastern Illinois University, there is open and continuous testing which means that candidates may test for a classification even if a position is not yet vacant. Your scores will be kept on file. Then, the highest scoring candidates of those interested in a vacant position will be eligible for interview.
Applications for all positions are available in person at EIU’s Human Resources Office (Old Main, Room 2020), Charleston IL 61920 or you may submit an application online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php. Eligible candidates will be scheduled to take a civil service examination.
Department of Human Resources – Employment
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
Want to be notified when new Civil Service job openings become available? Click on this link and subscribe to the Civil Service Job Postings Listserv. Subscriber information is confidential. Unsubscribe anytime.
Temporary Extra - Help
Please complete our HR Customer Service Survey to let us know how we can better serve you.
Status (full-time) Civil Service
Eastern Illinois University’s Chemistry Department is seeking candidates for a full-time Civil Service position of Office Manager. The qualified candidate must be a high school graduate or equivalent, have 24 months of clerical/office support work experience comparable to that of an Office Support Specialist or in other positions of comparable responsibility, and will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination to include keyboarding accurately at a rate of at least 40 net wpm. Starting salary is $15.32/hour.
The Chemistry Department Office Manager’s duties include (but are not limited to) the following:
1) Being the first point of contact in the department office for students, faculty, and staff.
2) Adding, dropping, and/or wait-listing students according to class enrollment maxima and students’ schedule needs.
3) Building class schedules in Banner (and Astra) according to the class schedule constructed by the Chemistry Department Chair.
4) Maintaining proper Assignment of Duties records for faculty in Banner.
5) Posting faculty and room schedules each semester in the main office including office hours.
6) Distribute mail and other printed communications to faculty and staff.
7) Assisting the General Chemistry Coordinator in hiring department tutors and posting the tutoring schedules.
8) Handle the paperwork involved in hiring student workers for the Chemistry Department Stockroom.
9) Handle travel applications and travel vouchers for both students and faculty.
10) Maintaining a professional look and atmosphere in the Chemistry Office; keeping office supplies stocked; supervise copier maintenance.
11) Maintain and/or dispose of department records according to university regulations.
12) Assist faculty in the department with the annual Research Celebration.
13) Organize the Spring Chemistry Department Awards Banquet (menu, place, invitations to alumni, retired faculty, student awardees, special guests, etc.) This also includes organizing and obtaining the award certificates and plaques to be handed out to students.
14) Generate, distribute, and collect student evaluations of faculty and get them delivered to testing.
15) Generate, distribute, and collect student and faculty evaluations of graduate assistants.
16) Assist the department chair in meeting deadlines indicated for chairs on the Administrative Calendar posted by Academic Affairs.
17) Maintaining the three main department bulletin boards.
To apply, you may submit a completed application online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Applications must be submitted by November 25, 2014 to ensure consideration.
Eastern Illinois University is seeking service-oriented, student-centered individuals to serve as a status driver (51%) or substitute drivers for the Panther Shuttle Service. Drivers are required to operate various vehicles depending on need. Drivers typically drive a 20 passenger bus. The shuttle service runs from late August to early May on Mon., Tues., and Wed. 7:30 a.m. to midnight; Thurs. and Fri. 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.; Sat. 2:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.; and Sun. 2:00 p.m. to midnight. (The part-time position that is currently available is a half-time status position with mid-afternoon hours on Mondays and Fridays as well as late night hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Substitute drivers are needed for all shifts.) Applicants must present a valid Illinois Class A or B CDL with a “P” endorsement, a current medical certificate, and a driver’s abstract at the time of application. Applicants who are hired must pass a background investigation and drug test and will be subject to random drug testing throughout employment. Base pay is $11.25/hour.
The qualified candidate will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination. Please submit application and resume online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Review of applications begins immediately.
Temporary Extra Help
Eastern Illinois University is seeking service-oriented, student-centered individuals to serve as drivers for the Panther Shuttle Service. Multiple substitute positions are currently available. Drivers typically drive a 20 passenger bus. The shuttle service runs from late August to early May on Mon., Tues., and Wed. 7:30 a.m. to midnight; Thurs. and Fri. 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.; Sat. 2:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.; and Sun. 2:00 p.m. to midnight. Applicants must present a valid Illinois Class A or B CDL with a “P” endorsement, a current medical certificate, and a driver’s abstract at the time of application. Applicants who are hired must pass a background investigation and drug test and will be subject to random drug testing throughout employment. Base pay is $11.25/hour.
Review of applications begins immediately. Submit an online application at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php or obtain a paper application in EIU’s Department of Human Resources (Old Main, Room 2020).
Eastern is looking for energetic, friendly, flexible individuals to fill in as extra help cooks and kitchen laborers throughout the school year. You will work with seasoned personnel, as well as student employees, as you further your expertise in preparing nourishing and attractive meals and facilitate the operation of the dining centers.
We maintain a pool of applicants to fill various extra help (temporary) custodial positions throughout the year. The base pay for this position is $9.00 per hour.