Civil Service Positions at EIU
Read about our hiring process before you complete an application!
At Eastern Illinois University, there is open and continuous testing which means that candidates may test for a classification even if a position is not yet vacant. Your scores will be kept on file. Then, the highest scoring candidates of those interested in a vacant position will be eligible for interview.
Applications for all positions are available in person at EIU’s Human Resources Office (Old Main, Room 2020), Charleston IL 61920 or you may submit an application online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php. Eligible candidates will be scheduled to take a civil service examination.
Department of Human Resources – Employment
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
Want to be notified when new Civil Service job openings become available? Click on this link and subscribe to the Civil Service Job Postings Listserv. Subscriber information is confidential. Unsubscribe anytime.
Status (Full-Time and Part-Time) Civil Service
- Information Technology Technical Associate - Desktop Manager
- Food Service Worker III
- Food Service Worker II
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Temporary Extra - Help
- Extra Help Program/Student Advisor
- Food Service Workers
- Substitute Shuttle Drivers
- Cook/Kitchen Laborer Positions
- Custodial Positions
Please complete our HR Customer Service Survey to let us know how we can better serve you.
Status (Full-Time) Civil Service
Eastern Illinois University is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Technical Associate – Desktop Manager in the Department of Information Technology. This position is open to those with two years of work experience installing, maintaining, and monitoring Windows Operating Systems and software on end user computing devices including, but not limited to desktop computers, laptop computers and tablets and/or college coursework in Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely-related discipline. 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one year; 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor’s Degree equals two years.
Additional requirements include:
A minimum of one year experience administrating Microsoft Active Directory structures and policies.
A minimum of one year experience managing anti-virus software and its deployment onto end user computing devices.
A minimum of one year experience managing a Microsoft update management system such as SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) or Windows Server Update Service.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination. Upon successful selection of candidate, all scores will be voided from this IT Technical Associate – Desk Manager register.
To apply, please submit an application, resume, and transcripts online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Deadline for application is January 9, 2017.
Eastern Illinois University’s Panther Dining is seeking a Food Service Worker III in Panther Catering. Minimum qualifications include one year of experience in food service work. Minimum rate of pay is $10.246 per hour.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination. To apply, you may submit a completed application and resume online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Applications must be submitted by January 4, 2017 to ensure consideration.
Eastern Illinois University is seeking candidates for a Food Service Worker II in Panther Dining.
Employees at this level perform a variety of simple tasks involved in the preparation and serving of food in a food service unit. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor.
A Food Service Worker II typically—
- Prepares food for cooking, including such tasks as cleaning, dicing and peeling vegetables and mixing ingredients
- Prepares food for serving, including such tasks as cutting pies, placing individual servings on plates and making sodas and sandwiches
- Performs simple cooking (such as boiling eggs, making toast and making coffee)
- Set up tables, counter and trays for service
- Maintains equipment and supplies needed in service area
- Takes orders, relays messages and places dishes before dinners
- Computes amounts of checks, rings up sales, takes money and makes change
- Cleans counter, cabinets, tables and similar items in a food service unit
- Supervising students
- Performs other related duties as assigned
One year of food service experience is preferred.
Candidates will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination. The minimum starting wage is $9.169/hour. To apply, you may submit an application and resume online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Applications must be received by January 4, 2017 to ensure consideration.
The Health Service is seeking a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner to provide advanced health and psychiatric assessment, utilizing advanced pharmacology and psychopharmacology in collaboration with the medical director, collaborating physician and staff psychiatrist. This person is an active member of multidisciplinary treatment teams and takes referrals primarily from the University Counseling Center, Health Service clinicians, Office of Disability Services, the psychiatrist and other health care professionals. The Health Service provides a full range of primary care services, with on-site laboratory, x-ray, pharmacy and health education services to an exciting student population. Our primary focus is to enhance the ability of our students to participate fully in intellectual and personal growth opportunities afforded by the University.
This is a full-time, 10-month position, with June and July as leave time. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, health and life insurance, retirement program options, tuition waivers and working with a team of dedicated and talented professionals. Benefits may be carried during leave time, and pay may be spread over 12 months. The salary shall be commensurate with experience.
Candidates who possess valid licensure as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner in the state of Illinois will be given preference. Minimum qualifications include certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse by a national certifying organization. Compensation for additional licensure may also be available. Eligible candidates will have a review of credentials through the university. To apply, send a letter of application, resume, names and contact information of three (3) references, Illinois Nurse License, and Advanced Practice Nurse Certification online: https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Review of applications will begin Jan. 11, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
Please see job description below.
Function of Job
In collaboration with the medical director, collaborating physician and staff psychiatrist, provide advanced health and psychiatric assessment, utilizing advanced pharmacology and psychopharmacology.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain the mental health history and perform necessary physical examination and testing to determine the differential diagnosis and treatment plan for the management of psychiatric and mental health disorders, including the differential diagnosis and management of medical disorders with psychiatric symptoms.
- Utilize independent and interdependent decision-making with direct accountability for clinical judgments.
- Manage medication and employ psychotherapeutic interventions for patients with psychiatric and mental health disorders, utilizing evidence-based research.
- Develop and implement health policy as it relates to psychiatric and mental health care.
- Provide leadership in the practice of psychiatric mental healthcare.
- Promote and provide education to patients and the university community on psychiatric and mental health disorders.
- Participate in case management and consultation with others in the mental healthcare community including professionals from Health Service, Counseling Center, Office of Disability Services and outside healthcare personnel.
- Promote mental health and disease prevention.
- Understand pathophysiology as it relates to patients with psychiatric and mental health conditions.
- Work with medical director, collaborating physician and psychiatrist at Eastern Illinois University.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- Licensure as a Family or Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Extra Help (Part-Time As Needed)
Eastern Illinois University’s Career Services is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Extra Help Program/Student Advisor. This is a part-time, temporary Extra-Help position. This position will serve as a resource, mentor, and consultant for students regarding their educational development and career planning. He/she will provide resource referral services; assist with recruitment activities; provide academic program-specific guidance to students; provide information/assistance to students on student work programs, placement opportunities and arranges interviews with company representatives; develop and conduct programs/workshops.
This position is open to candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree. Preference will be given to applicants with degrees in Counseling, Psychology or Sociology and with experience in recruiting, career services, professional development or related area.
To apply, please submit an application, resume, and transcripts online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php. Applications must be received by January 13, 2017 to ensure consideration.