The Graduate School is excited to be included in your pursuit of graduate education and is committed to providing you the support necessary to ensure a smooth admission process.
Graduate admissions is a two-part process at EIU. It involves application to the Graduate School as well as application to the graduate program if you are seeking a degree in a particular discipline. If you need to enroll in coursework without applying to a graduate program, please select "non-degree" on the admission application. All international student admissions are processed through the Office of International Students and Scholars. International applicants are advised to contact that office at 217-581-2321.
The Admissions Process
- Apply to The Graduate School by submitting an online application or by completing a paper application. Application requires a $30 non-refundable fee. McNair Scholars, EIU employees, veterans, and GN4U participants may receive a waiver for the application fee.
- Official transcripts should be mailed to the following address:
The Graduate School
If you received your undergraduate degree from EIU, we will be able to request your transcript from the Records Office.
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
- Some departments require a test score for admission. If the department requires a test score, have the score sent directly to The Graduate School.
- Contact ETS to send your official GRE test scores to The Graduate School. EIU's institutional code is 1199. EIU's institutional code for the School of Business, which includes MBA is 3769.
- Contact Harcourt Assessment to send an official MAT score. EIU's institutional code for the MAT is 2028.
- Programs requiring the GRE General: Biological Sciences (thesis and internship options); Chemistry; Clinical Psychology; Communication Disorders and Sciences; Mathematics; School Psychology; and Sustainable Energy (GRE or GMAT). The Master of Business Administration requires the GMAT or the GRE. EIU's MBA institutional code for GMAT is part-time students DGF-ZJ-62, and full-time students DGF-ZJ-53.
- All graduate programs require applicants to submit additional application materials through MyEIU. Additional materials may include a portfolio, letters of recommendation, writing samples, etc. Check the department's website or contact the program's graduate coordinator for additional application requirements.
- If you are a current or returning EIU graduate student and need to change the degree you were originally seeking, please submit the change of status form.
Links to the online application, a printable application, change of status form, as well as additional resources can be found in the menu on the left. We welcome you to Eastern Illinois University and wish you success in your graduate studies!
Graduate Admissions Officer