The New Content Experience (Lessons)
D2L Brightspace has an alternative Content experience that provides an intuitive way to create lessons. The New Content Experience focuses on clean visual presentation of content for educators and learners with a minimalist design. It is a simplified experience for organizing content and managing the availability of course materials. Units are color coded and easily defined.
- The New Content Experience does not yet offer some of the advanced capabilities:
- Setting availability restrictions (based on start/end dates): Content Modules (Units) can be set to hidden or visible manually but not released automatically according to dates available.
(If content modules have dates available in the original content experience and the instructor switches to the New Content Experience, modules that were available will be set to visible and modules not currently available will be set to hidden. Modules can easily be changed from hidden to visible and vice versa on the content page.)
- Visual completion tracking: Students will no longer see visual tracking (checkmarks) for items visited in the content modules.
- Bookmarking and Bulk editing are no longer available.
- Overview: The New Content Experience does not have an Overview page. If you have content in the Overview section of the original Content experience that you want displayed in the New Content Experience, you need to move the content to a module before converting to the New Content Experience.
(If you have something on the Overview page in the original content experience and you switch to the New Content Experience, the content will not be lost. It will just not be visible. If you switch back to the original content experience, you will still see the content on the Overview page.)
- Kaltura Video Quizzes: Adding Grade Items to Kaltura video quizzes can only be performed in the original content experience. To add a Grade Item to a Kaltura video quiz in D2L, the instructor will first need to switch back to the original content experience to add the Grade Item, then, return to the New Content Experience.
Instructors can now "Opt-In" to the New Content Experience
To Opt-In to the New Content Experience:
- When you select "Content" in your course for the first time, you will see the following message:
- Select "Turn it on"
To Opt-Out of the New Content Experience:
- On the "Content" page in your course, select the down arrow (pictured below) in the upper right corner.
- Select "Turn it off" then select "Done".
Linked below are tutorials for the New Content Experience (also called Lessons) from the D2L Brightspace Help site.
Webinar: Refresh your Content in D2L: The New Content Experience
Links to the two-part recording of the webinar and the presentation slides can be found below.
EIU netID and password are required to access the recordings and presentation slides.
The written tutorials and video simulations on the D2L Solutions site are brought to you by D2L and the
Faculty Development and Innovation Center
phone 217-581-7051 :: email firstname.lastname@example.org :: web www.eiu.edu/fdic
Contact the FDIC for questions about the tutorials, to suggest topics for new tutorials, or to schedule a consultation appointment. The FDIC staff can recommend integration solutions using D2L and other instructional technologies for your online, hybrid, and face-to-face courses.
For Help with D2L
Call 217-581-HELP (4357), email email@example.com, or
contact the Instructional Support Specialist (ISS) for your department.