EIU at a Glance
- Costs of Attendance, 2014-2015 Academic Year
- Student Recreation
- Student Organizations
- More Points of Pride
Campus Size: 320 acres (Campus Map)
Year Founded: 1895
- President: William L. Perry
- Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs: Blair M. Lord
- Vice President for Business Affairs: Paul McCann (interim)
- Vice President for Student Affairs: Daniel P. Nadler
- Vice President for University Advancement: Robert K. Martin
Governing Body: EIU Board of Trustees
Residential Campus: Housing options include 11 residence halls, Greek Court, University Court and University Apartments.
Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, Master's and Specialist's
Colleges and Schools:
- College of Arts and Humanities
- Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences
- College of Education and Professional Studies
- College of Sciences
- Graduate School
- Honors College
- School of Continuing Education
National Student Exchange: Our students may study at another NSE-member institution for up to a year; EIU is also a host school. More info.
Graduation Rate: 59 percent
Faculty-Student Ratio: 1:14
Accreditation: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
Cost of Attendance, 2014-2015 Academic Year
Tuition and Fees: The following tuition rates are for new, full-time students entering in Fall 2014. Undergraduate rates represent the cost of 15 semester hours per semester; graduate rates represent the cost of 11 semester hours per semester. Costs vary according to year of entry and state of residency; see this page for more specific information. These numbers reflect the annual cost (fall and spring semesters combined).
- Undergraduate, In-State: $11,108.00
- Undergraduate, Out-of-State*: $28,088.00
- Graduate, In-State: $8,334.00
- Graduate, Out-of-State: $17,046.00
* Residents of states bordering Illinois (Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri and Wisconsin) pay in-state tuition rates for undergraduate courses.
Housing: $8,300 to $9,358, depending on meal plan chosen. These numbers reflect the annual cost (fall and spring semesters combined).
Our textbook rental program saves the average student hundreds of dollars per semester. (Students have the option to purchase books if they wish.) The rental fee is included in the above tuition and fees.
The Student Recreation Center serves more than 2,000 students daily with:
- Six indoor basketball/volleyball courts.
- A large fitness center with aerobic and body part machines.
- An eighth-mile jogging track.
- A free-weight area.
- An aerobic/multi-purpose room.
- A dance studio.
- A lobby/lounge.
Activities Offered: Intramural sport activities include a wide variety of team sports and special events.
Registered Student Organizations: Eastern has more than 180 recognized student organizations.
Greek Life: Thirty fraternities and sororities.
Student Life Office website: http://www.eiu.edu/slo/
School Colors: Blue and Gray
Competition Level: NCAA Division I (football is NCAA Football Championship Subdivision)
Conferences: Ohio Valley (baseball; men's and women's basketball; men's and women's cross country; men's and women's golf; football; men's and women's soccer; softball; men's and women's swimming; men's and women's tennis; men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field; volleyball), The Summit League (men's and women's swimming and diving, men's soccer), independent (women's rugby)
Athletics Website: www.eiupanthers.com
More Points of Pride
- Eastern prepares more undergraduates who go on to earn doctoral degrees than any other master's college/university in Illinois, according to a recent National Science Foundation survey. In addition to ranking first in the state, EIU ranks in the top 5 percent nationwide.
- The 2011 completion of the Renewable Energy Center, one of the largest biomass facilities in the country, has made the campus much more environmentally friendly at no cost to taxpayers -- the project will be fully covered by energy savings over the next two decades.
- The new Center for Clean Energy Research and Education will provide students and faculty hands-on research opportunities in cutting-edge technology.
- English faculty member David Raybin was named the 2011 Illinois Professor of the Year by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, the only national program to recognize excellence in undergraduate teaching and mentoring.
- The Doudna Fine Arts Center combines state-of-the-art facilities for art, music and theatre students with top-quality cultural activities for the entire region.
- EIU is the first choice for more than 75 percent of new students in the Honors College, which attracts some of the best and brightest in the state.
- Our alumni satisfaction rate is 98 percent after one year from graduation and 99 percent after nine years from graduation.
Number of Alumni: More than 86,000 across the nation.
EIU in the NFL: EIU has a strong alumni presence in the NFL, including alumnus Tony Romo, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys; Sean Payton, head coach of the 2010 Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints; and Mike Shanahan (who previously coached Denver to two Super Bowl championships), head coach of the Washington Redskins. EIU is also proud of our many alumni serving as assistant coaches in the NFL.
Other Notable Alumni: former Illinois Gov. Jim Edgar; actors Burl Ives, Jerry Van Dyke, Joan Allen and John Malkovich; UFC champion Matt Hughes; Metropolitan Opera tenor Matthew Polenzani; Illinois and National Teacher of the Year Joe Fatheree; Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Ted Gregory; Jimmy John's founder and chairman of the board Jimmy John Liautaud; ESPN radio personality John Jurkovic; former CNN sports anchor Larry Smith; former professional athletes Kevin Duckworth, Marty Pattin, Kevin Seitzer and Jeff Gossett; animal advocate Joan Embery; and many more.
Alumni Association Website: http://www.eiu.edu/alumni
Our focus is on our students, and the services we offer reflect this dedication. If there's something you need during your time at EIU, it's here for you. Services include:
- Academic Advising Center
- Career Services
- Counseling Center
- Disability Services
- Health Education Resource Center
- Health Service
- Housing and Dining Services
- Student Community Service
- Student Legal Service
- Student Success Center
- Textbook Rental Services
- Veterans Services
- Women's Resource Center
- Writing Center