The Department of Music offers a Music Minor for students who are interested in pursuing studies in music in addition to their current degree plan. Students with a Music Minor participate in department ensembles, complete four semesters of applied lessons, and take some of the same music theory and history coursework that a Music Major does.
Admission as a Music Minor generally requires interested students to complete a short audition for a Department of Music faculty member. Please contact the studio instructor for your instrument/voice or the department chair to receive more information.
Requirements for the Music Minor:
Applied Study (4 credit hours)
Music Theory (8 credit hours)
- MUS 1501 - Comprehensive Musicianship I. Credits: 4
- Prerequisite MUS 0541 or successful completion of the Diagnostic Exam. Click here for additional information. See "Music Theory/Aural Skills Diagnostic Test."
- MUS 1502 - Comprehensive Musicianship II. Credits: 4
Music History (3 credit hours) Choose From:
- MUS 3553G/93G - Introduction to Western Musical Masterworks. Credits: 3
- MUS 3584/94 - Music History and Literature I. Credits: 3
- MUS 3585/95 - Music History and Literature II. Credits: 3
Electives in Music (7 credit hours)
Must include three credit hours upper-division music courses and can include up to four credit hours in ensembles. MUS 3550G or MUS 3562G will fulfill both the Music Minor elective and Fine Arts General Education requirements.
Total Hours: 22