INSTRUCTIONS FOR PRINTING/ORDERING TAX RETURN TRANSCIPTS
If your FAFSA has been selected for verification and you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, please request a tax return transcript directly from the IRS.
- Go to www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript.
- Select either “Get Transcript Online” or “Get Transcript by Mail”
GET TRANSCRIPT ONLINE
*You will need access to a personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit, or car loan to complete.
- Follow the online prompts to verify your identity through personal and financial information.
- Create an account then select higher education/student aid as your reasoning for requesting the transcript.
- Under the RETURN TRANSCRIPT box, choose the tax year. (Select two tax years prior - for example, for the 17-18 FAFSA, select the 2015 tax year; for the 18-19 FAFSA, select the 2016 tax year.)
GET TRANSCRIPT BY MAIL
- Enter your social security number, date of birth, and your tax return mailing address.
- Select RETURN TRANSCRIPT and choose the tax year. (Select two tax years prior - for example, for the 17-18 FAFSA, select the 2015 tax year; for the 18-19 FAFSA, select the 2016 tax year.)
- Transcripts arrive in 5 to 10 calendar days at the address the IRS has on file.
*If we are requesting a Parent IRS Tax Transcript, your parent will follow the same steps to request their Tax Return Transcript. If they filed joint then the information would have to be for the name that appears first on the taxes.