COVID-19 Emergency Financial Aid Grant
Due to the high volume of applications received, please allow at least 2-3 weeks processing. Please ensure documentation is submitted at the time of application to avoid delays. Thank you.
The recent implementation of the CARES Act has allowed institutions to establish COVID-19 emergency programs in order to provide emergency financial aid grants to students currently enrolled for Spring or Summer 2020 semester with extraordinary one-time education-related costs that have arisen as a result of disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The intent of the funding is to support students experiencing a temporary financial hardship for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus. The COVID-19 emergency financial aid grants are limited and not intended to provide ongoing relief.
Emergency financial aid grants may be requested for emergency support for expenses such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and childcare as it relates to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus for the remainder of the spring semester, summer semester, and for planning for the upcoming fall semester.
Emergency financial aid grants will be awarded in accordance with federal, state and institutional rules and regulations. Please note that students are asked to provide documentation of their situation. This could include third-party statements, bills, receipts, or other information verifying need. The highest level of sensitivity and privacy will be given to all requests.
If approved, you will receive the financial aid grant as a direct refund, meaning it will be disbursed out of your student account. We recommend that you have direct deposit information in your student account so that you may receive the grant quickly once disbursed. Please contact Student Accounts (217-581-3715) to verify your information or complete the following form to establish direct deposit: https://www.eiu.edu/busofc/bursar_directdeposit.php.
- Students must meet Title IV eligibility requirements in order to receive an emergency financial aid grant. This will be determined for Spring or Summer 2020 through submission of a 2019-2020 FAFSA.
- International and undocumented students are not eligible to receive emergency financial aid grants.
- Students who were enrolled exclusively in online programs on March 13, 2020, are not eligible.
How to Apply
- Students requesting assistance for Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 must submit this online form - the deadline to submit is Aug. 1, 2020.
- In addition to the application, supporting documentation must be submitted to our secure drop box.
Students will be notified via PAWS or Panthermail of application processing through a message on their Financial Aid account.
Grant Funds will be issued by direct payment through Student Accounts. No funding can be applied to an outstanding student balance. We recommend direct deposit: https://www.eiu.edu/busofc/bursar_directdeposit.php.
The deadline for Spring or Summer 2020 is Aug. 1, 2020.
- Document file names must include student name and E#.
Additional Information and FAQs
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting - Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
Statements Required by CARES Act Certification: