CREDIT FOR NATIONALLY STANDARDIZED TESTS
Students who submit scores for:
- Advanced Placement Tests
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Tests administered by the College Entrance Examination Board
- International Baccalaureate (IB) credit
- Excelsior College UExcel Exams (formerly known as ACT-PEP exams)
will have their records evaluated by the Office of the Registrar in accordance with standards established by the appropriate departments to determine proper placement and credit. College credit granted will be treated as credit without a grade (except Excelsior which will appear as graded transfer work); such credit will count toward graduation and may be used in fulfilling requirements. Credit may be allowed as indicated above only if the student was not obliged to use the credit to meet minimum high school graduation requirements. Eastern does not allow a student to re-take a CLEP exam for Eastern credit if the first score is unsatisfactory.
The following conditions apply to the granting of credit for CLEP, UExcel Exams, IB, and/or Advanced Placement examinations:
- Credit will be awarded only if the original test scores are sent directly to Eastern. Credit will not be awarded based on scores listed on another institution’s transcript.
- The applicant may receive credit only once in a given course in a given subject.
- Credit will not be granted if:
- The course substantially duplicates one or more courses accepted for college entrance or for transfer credit.
- There is an entry on the applicant’s permanent record for the course.
- The applicant has earned college credit in one or more courses in the subject more advanced than the given course.
- The applicant is currently enrolled in the course or in a course in the subject more advanced than the given course and more than one month of the semester has elapsed.
See these webpages to determine which Advanced Placement Tests, CLEP Subject Exams, UExcel Exams and IB credits are honored by EIU and whether essay portions of the exams are required. Only the Humanities test of the CLEP General Exams may carry credit.