RETURNING STUDENTS - READMISSION
Returning undergraduate students, after an absence of more than one semester (spring or fall), need to complete the Returning Undergraduate Student Form at least 10 calendar days prior to the first class day of the term in which they intend to enroll. Students enrolled in the spring semester do not need to complete the form for the next fall semester. Returning students will be placed in the current catalog year.
Returning students who have attended one or more regionally accredited colleges or universities since last attending EIU must submit official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts must be received before an undergraduate may be certified for graduation.
Students returning after an academic dismissal must provide official transcripts showing a composite GPA of at least 2.00 on a scale of 4.00 in all course work attempted since they last attended EIU.
See the complete policy for returning students in the catalog under Readmission, or Reinstatement Following Academic Dismissal.
What was your Academic Standing your last term of attendance?
Good Standing/Academic Warning/Academic Probation:
Academic Dismissal – one time:
- You must remain out of the university at least one fall or spring semester
- You may not return during a summer term
- Complete the Returning Undergraduate Student Form
- Enroll in EIU 2919 during the return semester
- You will be placed on Academic Probation and retain the same cumulative grade-point average as when you were dismissed
- You will remain on Academic Probation as long as conditions stated in catalog are met
Academic Dismissal – more than once:
- Complete the Petition for Reinstatement
- Petition must be completed, signed, and received (not just postmarked) by the following deadlines:
Fall Semester – Third Monday in June at 4 p.m.
Spring Semester – Third Monday in October at 4 p.m.
Fresh Start Academic Renewal Policy Guidelines
Purpose: To allow students returning to EIU with a GPA below 2.00 to reestablish themselves academically and get back on the path towards completing graduation requirements. Please note that any student considering this option should also explore other opportunities available to them, such as repeating courses for which they were previously unsuccessful or seeking a withdrawal from courses where appropriate.
Requirements for this program:
- Your cumulative GPA must be below a 2.00.
- Your last term of attendance at EIU must be at least one year prior to readmission (three full semesters—Fall, Spring, and Summer).
- You must be readmitted through the readmission policies outlined in our catalog, including those that pertain to academic dismissal. You must indicate your intent to pursue the Fresh Start program on your readmission application. Your term of re-entry must be a Fall or Spring term.
- You must be readmitted to the current catalog year.
- This policy is not available for all academic programs.* If any student chooses to change their academic program to one that does not qualify for the Fresh Start program, their acceptance into the Fresh Start program will be rescinded and they may not apply again in the future.
- You must successfully complete your next 12 hours at EIU with a 2.0 GPA or higher after readmission. This requirement must be met before your cumulative GPA will be reset. If approved, your Fresh Start GPA will begin with your term of re-entry. A notation will be made on your transcript.
- The current academic standing rules still apply after the Fresh Start policy has begun.
- You may only utilize the Fresh Start program one time.
- You will not be eligible for a degree with distinction.
- All courses taken and grades earned will appear on the transcript. All hours earned will count toward total hours for graduation.
- You must complete at least an additional 30 hours at EIU after readmission to be eligible for graduation.
- Previous credits and grades earned are still applied toward your degree requirements. You must still meet the minimum GPA requirements for your major, minor, or concentration.
- Gateway students must still follow the guidelines of the Gateway program.
- This policy does not apply to graduate or post-baccalaureate students.
- Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress rules continue to apply regardless of the academic renewal approval. Students not meeting GPA and completion rate minimums will still be required to file an appeal each semester.
- Students are only eligible for the Fresh Start program on their first time being re-admitted after being academically dismissed.
- Students must enroll in EIU 2919 their first semester after readmission.
*All teacher education programs are excluded. Both the RN to BSN and traditional Nursing programs are excluded.
Graduate students who have previously attended EIU and return after an absence of more than one semester (spring or fall) must complete the Returning Graduate Student Form
Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree and have not applied for admission to The Graduate School will need to complete an application. To request an application, email The Graduate School or call 217-581-7488 or 217-581-7489.