Recent Searches

Loading Search Results...
Loading Directory Results...



Recent Pages

Recent Searches

EIU Office of the Registrar


Office Hours

The Office of the Registrar is observing Summer Hours from May 6, 2024 - August 9, 2024.

Monday thru Thursday 8:00 - 4:30, Friday 8:00 - 12:00

Student Address Changes

Students may change their parent and student mailing address through PAWS under the personal information tab. Click the Update Addresses and Phones link. Students who need to change their permanent address need to do so through the Office of the Registrar.  Students can come to the office at 1220 Old Main, with a photo ID to complete the necessary paperwork, send the information to from their panthermail email account, or complete and submit the address change form found here

Name Changes

Students who need to change the name on their academic record need to do so through the Office of the Registrar by completing the Name Change Request Form.  A name change request must be accompanied by one of the following documents.

  • State or Federal photo ID (such as a driver's license) + Social Security card as long as both reflect the new name
  • Certified copy of a marriage license
  • Court order
  • Dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full
  • Current passport
  • Official proof of identity, certified by the United States' embassy abroad or by the appropriate foreign embassy in the United States. 

Gender Changes

Students who need to change their gender on their academic record should do so through the Office of the Registrar by completing the Gender Change Request Form. A gender change request must be accompanied by one of the following documents.

  • Statement from a qualified health care provider
  • Birth certificate
  • Court order
  • Driver's license
  • State ID
  • Passport

Preferred First Name

Beginning August 1, 2015, any individual at Eastern Illinois University can indicate their preferred first name to the university community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name. To learn more click here.

Photo I.D. Required

Safeguarding your confidential information is very important to the staff of the Office of the Registrar. One way we do this is to require a photo I.D. be presented any time a request for information is made. To avoid delays in receiving the information you need, please be sure to bring either your Panther Card or driver's license each time you come to the Office of the Registrar.

Declaring/Changing a Major or Minor

Undergraduate students who would like to declare or change their major or minor should complete the process outlined here.

Undergraduate Readmission

Click here to access information on readmission to the university. Click here to access the undergraduate readmission form.

Transferring Credits From Other Schools

Students transferring coursework from other schools should use Transferology to see how those courses will transfer to Eastern Illinois University. Instructions on how to use Transferology can be found here.

Course substitution lists and other similar documents are unofficial and not current.

Grade Availability on PAWS

Grades are available for viewing in the PAWS system on the day following the end of the term.

Eastern E-mail Accounts 

The Office of the Registrar utilizes Eastern's e-mail accounts to contact students regarding drops/adds, evaluation of transfer work, and grade corrections. 

Your student e-mail user ID and password information are available through the ITS Help Desk. You may contact them at 217-581-4357 (HELP).

Services Available Through PAWS

All students may apply for graduation through PAWS. Undergraduates may view their transfer evaluations and degree audit through PAWS. PAWS updates as soon as a change has been made to a student's record.

Graduation Information

Information on how to apply for graduation, including important deadlines, can be found here.

Graduation/Diploma Address Changes

Any graduating student who needs to change the mailing address for their diploma should contact Kelly Harmon in the Office of the Registrar.  The office is located at 1220 Old Main. She can also be reached by phone at 217-581-7496 or by email at *Please note, changing your address in PAWS does not change the mailing address for diplomas.

Participation in Commencement by Exceptionality

Students who plan to participate in the commencement ceremony must meet established deadlines. To view the deadlines click here.

Sending Transcripts From Other Institutions

It is sometimes necessary for students to provide official transcripts, either from high schools or other colleges, to the records office. Transcripts are accepted only if they are received in one of the following ways:

  • The high school or college mails (faxed copies are not considered official and will not be accepted) the transcript directly to:

Office of the Registrar
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston IL 61920


  • The transcript is hand-carried, to Room 1220 Old Main, in a sealed envelope that has the high school or colleges return address on it. The transcript will not be accepted if the envelope has been opened.


Enrollment/Degree Verifications

Eastern Illinois University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at:
National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard
Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171


Related Pages

Contact Information

Office of the Registrar

600 Lincoln Avenue
1220 Old Main Charleston, IL 61920
(217) 581-3511
(217) 581-3831

Take the next step

apply now
schedule a visit