Helpful Advising Information
Please read the full advising handbook.
- Each semester you will need a new alternate pin to register for classes; your advisor will be able to give you that number.
- Note that the person with whom you meet to do your initial orientation and get set up for your first semester is not likely to be your officially assigned advisor.
- Your advisor's name is listed on the top of your degree audit in PAWS (scroll down for the link with instructions for viewing your degree audit).
- The University does not typically put classes on student accounts for billing purposes until August (for fall semesters), so the first payment (if you’re registered) is September 1. The first disbursement date for scholarships and loans is actually before school starts and then continues fairly regularly throughout the semester. As long as students drop within the first ten days, there are no fees and anything paid will be reimbursed.
- As of spring 2020, students enrolled in an Online Degree Program will have priority registration.
- Do NOT wait to register for classes. Our online classes have maximum seat limits. You may not be able to register for the classes you want, if you delay registration.
- If you have any kind of "hold" on your account, you will not be able to register for classes. You will need to clear the hold before you can register.
- For the spring 2020 semester, holds will be put on accounts on April 1st; so, if you owe EIU money, you have a day to register before seeing the hold on your account.
- Most faculty in the department have 9-month contracts and may not be reachable during the summer (middle of May to middle of August). If you have advising questions during this time, please contact the department office.
Other Advising Resources