Criteria for Admission to the Psychology Major:
- College Algebra or higher-level math course (with a C or better) or an ACT math score of at least 26. NOTE: At EIU, MAT1271 will fulfill this requirement. Although not required, MAT 2250G (Elementary Statistics) will fulfill the EIU math general education requirement and the psychology major requirement at the same time, and is a good choice to help prepare students for PSY 3610 (Statistical Methods in Psychology).
- Introductory Psychology with a C or better.
- It is preferred, but not required, that students have an Associates of Arts (A.A.) or Associates of Sciences (A.S.). Students without an A.A. or A.S. should have a minimum of 42 semester hours of transfer credit, including ENG 1001G (College Composition I), ENG 1002G (College Composition II), and CMN 1310G (Introduction to Speech Communication), and meet the general education foreign language requirement (two college courses in a single foreign language or two years of a single foreign language in high school with an average grade of C). If needed, the foreign language requirement can be met online at EIU by taking 2 semesters of Spanish: WLS 1101 and WLS 1102.
- Transfer students must also meet the GPA requirements for transfer students.
General EIU Graduation Requirements
Students must complete all EIU requirements for the Bachelor's degree, summarized below:
- 120 or more semester hours, with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. In the process of completing these 120 hours you must:
- Complete all general education requirements, including the senior seminar or Study Abroad Capstone
- 40 or more semester hours in upper-division courses (3000-4000 numbered courses)
- 30 or more semester hours at EIU
- 12 or more semester hours of Psychology at EIU
- 2 courses in a single foreign language (or 2 years of foreign language in high school)
- Earn a “C” or better in English 1001G, English 1002G, and Communication Studies 1310G or in accepted substitutions
- Submit two Electronic Writing Portfolio submissions
Online BA in Psychology Degree Completion Requirements (Printable Checklist)
A grade of C or better is required in all courses counting toward the major. All PSY courses have PSY 1879G (Intro Psych) as a prerequisite, in addition to any others noted. View the recommended course timeline.
NOTE: If you are readmitted EIU student, your psychology major requirements may be different than the current requirements shown below. Your degree audit available in PAWS shows the fulfillment of requirements for your specific catalog year.
- MAT1271 or higher-level math course (with a C or better), or ACT math score of 26 or higher
- PSY1879G Introductory Psychology
- PSY3610 Statistical Methods of Psychology (prereq: Must meet math requirement above), 4 Credits
- PSY2999 Orientation to the Psychology Major, 1 Credit
- PSY3805 Research Methods & Experimental Design (prereq: PSY3610), 4 Credits
- 1 Capstone Course (prereq: PSY3610, PSY 3805, and senior standing)
- PSY4590 Psychology Seminar
- PSY4250 History and Systems
Group A: Abnormal/Social Group (6 credit hours)
- PSY3590 Theories of Personality
- PSY3780 Abnormal Psychology
- PSY3870 Social Psychology
Group B: Biopsychology Group (3 credit hours)
- PSY3310 Biological Psychology
- PSY3450 Neuropsychology
- PSY3680 Sensation & Perception
- PSY3820 Cognitive Neuroscience
Group C: Cognitive/Learning Group (3 credit hours)
- PSY3620 Psychology of Learning
- PSY3710 Human Memory
- PSY3830 Cognitive Psychology
Group D: Developmental Group (3 credit hours)
- PSY3515 Child Psychology
- PSY3521 Psychology of Adolescence & Young Adulthood
- PSY3525 Psychology of Maturity & Old Age
Electives (6 credit hours)
Any psychology courses except PSY4274 & PSY4275. May include any courses from Groups A, B, C & D above the minimum requirement. Please read the catalog for course descriptions and prerequisites. The following electives are taught less frequently than courses in Groups A, B, C and D:
- PSY 3260 Models of Group Therapy
- PSY 3518 Language Development
- PSY 3530 Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PSY 3690 Controversial Topics in Psychology
- PSY 3720 Psychology of Gender
- PSY 3760 Judgment & Decision Making
- PSY 3900 Independent Study in Psychology
- PSY 3970 Study Abroad
- PSY 4100 Undergraduate Research
- PSY 4250 History and Systems
- PSY 4260 Crisis Intervention
- PSY 4265 Methods in Behavior Management
- PSY 4270 Theories of Psychotherapy
- PSY 4274 Orientation to Undergraduate Internship
- PSY 4275 Undergraduate Internship in Psychology
- PSY 4515 Children With Exceptionalities
- PSY 4585 Special Topics in Psychology
- PSY 4590 Psychology Seminar
- PSY 4610 Advanced Statistics in Psychology
- PSY 4620 Psychological Measurements: Fundamental Principles
- PSY 4700 Prejudice and Discrimination
- PSY 4755 Cross-Cultural Psychology
- PSY 4810 Neuropsychopharmacology
Note: No more than 3 credits each of PSY 3900 or 4100 may count towards the major.
MAJOR TOTAL: 36-39 credits (Depending on fulfillment of the math requirement)
Graduating Seniors are encouraged to complete the Graduating Senior Exit Survey by the closing date of the term of graduation. The link to the survey will be sent to you before you graduate.
Online Minors at EIU
To help in the selection of courses that will count toward graduation, it is recommend (but not required) that students select an online minor.
Other Advising Resources