Psychology professors at Eastern have had advanced degrees in Psychology, at least, as far back as the 1920s (e.g., Emma Reinhardt, the first woman to receive her Ph.D in Education from the University of Illinois in 1927). Because all students who graduated from Eastern prior to the early 1950s were studying to become teachers, the emphasis in psychology courses was on how psychology applied to teaching. For many years, Psychology at EIU was considered part of the Education Department, and courses were listed in the catalog under the Education program. Dr. Donald A. Rosthschild (1934-1967 at EIU) was the first to offer a “psychology” class at Eastern. On February 14th, 1963, Eastern’s President, Dr. Quincy V. Doudna, announced that a new department of psychology would become operational on September 15th of that year. A year later, Psychology appeared as a separate department in the University’s catalog, with Dr. Rothschild as Chair, and faculty members Dr. Arthur J. Looby and Dr. Henry A. Stackhouse. A year after that, in the 1965-66 academic year, Dr. Harold G. Coe and Dr. Francis E. Summers joined the department. The department continued to grow steadily to today’s number of approximately 20 tenured/tenure track faculty members. And, psychology remains among one of the most popular majors at Eastern.
Eastern Illinois Teachers College first offered a master's degree in 1951, a general Master’s in Education (i.e., MSEd). You could take courses within a certain field of study, but could not get a degree in a particular field. It was not until 1974 that we saw non-education graduate degrees were offered in the form of the first Master of Arts (MA) and Master of Sciences (MS).
A graduate degree (MA) in Psychology became available to students in 1974. For many years, four tracks were available under the Psychology MA: general, experimental, clinical, and school. Dr. John Best coordinated the general option for a time: from 1982-1984; Dr. Randall Best (at EIU from 1968 to 1985) coordinated the clinical option; Dr. Herb Morice coordinated the school option; and, Dr. Frank Hustmyer coordinated the experimental option. In 1984 Dr. Hustmyer took over coordination of the general option from Dr. John Best, who became coordinator of the Departmental Honors Program. In the late 1980’s the general and experimental tracks faded away. In place of the school track, a Specialist in School Psychology degree emerged, and the clinical track became an MA in Clinical Psychology program.
In 1986, Dr. William Kirk , who had been a faculty member in the department since 1975, became the first coordinator of the MA in Clinical Psychology program. He coordinated the program through 1999. Dr. Genie Lenihan became coordinator for the 1999-2000 academic year, and after she retired in 2000, Dr. Kirk resumed coordination until his retirement in 2003. During his last year in the department, 2002-2003, Dr. Kirk and Dr. Keith Wilson served as co-coordinators. Upon Dr. Kirk's retirement, Dr. Wilson became coordinator for several semesters, from fall 2003 to fall 2004. Dr. Wilson had previously, along with Dr. Russell Gruber, served as co-coordinator of the program during the 1998-99 academic year while Dr. Kirk was on sabbatical. In the spring of 2005, Dr. Anu Sharma became the fifth program coordinator. When Dr. Sharma stepped down in 2011, Dr. Wesley Allan became the new coordinator, having previously served as Acting Coordinator during the 2009-2010 academic year while Dr. Sharma was on sabbatical.
According to program records, the first graduate student in "school psychology" completed her General Psychology MA degree in 1974. However, it wasn't until 1990 that the first Specialist in School Psychology (SSP) degree was offered; and ‘School Psychology’ was not mentioned in the catalog until 1986, when it was offered as an option to the MA in General Psychology degree. As late as fall 1988, students were granted the General Psychology MA degree after they completed 32 hours of graduate credit and then continued on until they finished state certification requirements.
Dr. Mary Ann Rafoth joined the Department in the fall of 1985; she is credited with writing most of the Specialist program application in 1986, but left EIU in May, 1987. The Specialist in School Psychology (SSP) was approved in 1990; but, for the first few years after the state approved the SSP program, students had the option to complete the MA in General Psychology or the SSP; very few chose the SSP route because it required a thesis. In 1992 (while under the supervision of then Department Chair, Dr. Fred Yaffe) the SSP became the only route to certification. The program received National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) approval for the first time in 1994.
Three years after an independent Psychology Department was established, Dr. Herbert Morice joined the Department, in 1967. He was instrumental in putting together the School Psychology option for the General Psychology MA; he served as the formal “Coordinator” from 1970-1977. He was followed by Dr. George Batsche from 1977 until Dr. Batsche left the Department in 1983; then, Dr. Morice again served as Coordinator from 1983 until his retirement in 1988. Sue Stoner and Dr. Christine McCormick served as Co-Coordinators for the 1988-1989 academic year. In 1989, his second academic year at EIU, Dr. Mike Havey became SSP program Coordinator; he served in that capacity for 21 years, until his retirement in 2010. Dr. Assegedetch HaileMariam became coordinator in 2010.
Thanks to the following individuals who helped assemble this history:
And, a very special thanks to Marjorie Hanft for sharing her recollections of all things EIU-Psych, and helping to tell a cohesive story.