Steps to Successful Orientation and Registration
Congratulations on your admission to EIU’s online psychology degree completion program! This page is designed to help you with the next steps for a smooth transition into the program. The diagram below shows your progress in the steps required to register for classes.
- Complete a 1-minute survey about how you found out about our online program.
- Review each of the links under the “Current Students” tab of this website.
- Review the resources on advising, including the Undergraduate Online Psychology Major Advising handbook.
- Check your EIU email; we will use this email for all official communications. You can forward your EIU email to any other email system you prefer; see instructions for forwarding.
- Check MyEIU for updates on your transfer coursework and financial aid, if relevant.
- Complete Part I of the sexual assault training in PAWS. To do so, click on the MyHealth tab, and then click on the Haven/Understanding Sexual Assault link. It will take between 40-60 minutes.
- View the EIU Transfer Student Orientation video.
- You will be notified in an email from MyEIU once your transfer coursework has been evaluated. Within 3-5 business days after that, Academic Advising will check for fulfillment of the psychology major prerequisites (intro psych and math), and send an email to your EIU email account with instructions for setting up an advising appointment to select courses for registration.
- To register for classes, you will need an “Alternate PIN” number that will be provided to you during your advising appointment. Once you have this number from an advisor, you will be able to register for classes as demonstrated in this video.
In preparation for your online courses, you should also:
- Become familiar with Brightspace D2L (EIU's learning management system).
- After you login, follow the link titled "D2L Student Orientation" in the D2L panel on the bottom of the page. This will give you an overview of all the major features of the learning management system used for delivery of our online courses.
- You will be added to an "Online Psychology Major" course in D2L. This is where updates and information will be provided to all online psychology majors. You should sign up for notifications of news items in this course by clicking on your name at the top right of the page, then selecting "Notifications" and entering the appropriate information.
- Download the Microsoft 365 Office Suite, which is free for all EIU students. Please also install Microsoft Teams (see instructions here), which may be used by faculty for advising appointments, group work in classes, or general communication with faculty and classmates.
Once again, congratulations on your acceptance to EIU. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (217) 581-2127.