How to Apply to the Online Psychology Major
Criteria for Admission to the Psychology Major
- College Algebra or higher-level math course (with a C or better) or an ACT math score of at least 26. NOTE: At EIU, MAT1271 will fulfill this requirement. Although not required, MAT 2250G (Elementary Statistics) will fulfill the EIU math general education requirement and the psychology major requirement at the same time, and is a good choice to help prepare students for PSY 2610 (Statistical Methods in Psychology).
- Introductory Psychology with a C or better.
- It is preferred, but not required, that students have an Associates of Arts (A.A.) or Associates of Sciences (A.S.). Students without an A.A. or A.S. should have a minimum of 30 semester hours of transfer credit including ENG 1001G, ENG 1002G, CMS 1310G, and a general education Scientific Awareness course with a lab. Students should also have met the general education foreign language requirement (two college courses in a single foreign language or two years of a single foreign language in high school with an average grade of C).
- Transfer students must also meet the GPA requirements for transfer students.
- Note: The Psychology Department does not require a separate application to become an online psychology major.
Please follow the instructions below for the different admissions procedures depending on your status
- Apply through the MyEIU portal. When selecting a major on the transfer student application, choose "Psychology Online" as your major.
EIU Students Currently in Other Majors (except BGS)
- If you have met the prerequisites for the online major, please contact the Psychology Department at 217-581-2127 or email@example.com to meet with an advisor who will review your preparation for the online major.
EIU Students Currently in BA in General Studies (BGS)
- Contact Angie Rhoads in the CLAS Dean's Office with your request to change your major.
- Send an email to the BA in General Studies Degree Program, firstname.lastname@example.org, stating that you are withdrawing from the program.
Students who Already have a Bachelor's Degree
- If you already have a bachelor's degree, then follow these instructions. When selecting a major on the graduate student application, choose "Psychology Online" as your major. A second bachelor's degree requires a minimum of 30 hours of coursework at EIU.
Students who Need to Apply for Re-admission
- If you are an EIU student who has been away more than one semester, you will need to complete the Returning Undergraduate Student Form. NOTE: You will be readmitted to the major you had when you left EIU. If your prior major was not "Psychology Online," then after you are readmitted you will need to contact the Psychology Department at 217-581-2127 or email@example.com to meet with an advisor who will review your preparation for the online major.
Additional Admissions Information
You can also get in touch with our admissions counselors at 877-581-2348 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. They'll be able to get you on the right path!