Graduation Honors for Transfer Students
Transfer students who will not earn 56 semester hours from EIU until their final semester may request that their instructors submit their grades at midterm so that they may be considered for a degree with distinction. All midterm grades must be submitted by the deadline established by the Office of the Registrar. No grades submitted after this deadline will be considered in computations for tentative honors.
Graduation/Diploma Address Changes
Any graduating student who needs to change the mailing address for their diploma should contact Kelly Harmon in the Office of the Registrar. The office is located at 1220 Old Main or she can be reached by phone at 217-581-7496.
*Please note, changing your address in PAWS does not change the mailing address for diplomas.
Deadlines for Applying and Reapplying for Graduation and
Deadlines for Applying for Participation in Commencement By Exceptionality
- Fall 2014 - November 4, 2014
- Spring 2015 - March 25, 2015
Students may apply for graduation through PAWS.
Deadlines for Completion of Degree Requirements
The deadlines for having documentary evidence, that all degree requirements have been completed, in the Office of the Registrar are as follows:
- Fall 2014 - January 9, 2015
- Spring 2015 - May 31, 2015
If a student does not complete graduation requirements at the end of the grading period, a reapplication for graduation must be submitted through PAWS. No additional fees are charged for reapplying.
Important Information for All Students
Applying or Reapplying for Graduation
- Students may apply or reapply through PAWS.
- The application process must be completed by the published deadlines.
- A degree requirements checklist indicating your progress toward completion of the degree requirements will be mailed to you by your certifying dean (undergraduates) or the dean of The Graduate School (Graduates).
- To obtain an updated degree checklist, contact your certifying dean's office. Reapplying will not generate another checklist. There is NO additional fee for reapplying.
- Verify your graduation date with your certifying dean prior to the deadline date for the term in which you expect to graduate.
- DO NOT wait until the last minute!
- Remember to notify your certifying dean of any address or telephone number changes.
The following fees apply:
* One Degree
* Two Simultaneous Degrees
* Two Consecutive Degrees
Graduation fees are non-refundable.
Reapplication for Graduation
Students may reapply for graduation through PAWS.
To obtain an updated degree checklist, contact your certifying dean's office. Reapplying will not generate another checklist.
No additional fee is required for reapplication.
Reapplication will need to be completed for such significant changes as:
- Change of Name — The name will be changed on your diploma only if requested by the application deadline date.
- Graduation Date — This includes not graduating the semester or term for which you originally applied.
- Degree you are pursuing.
- Major you are pursuing.
- Change of address.
Check with your dean if there have been any changes in graduation requirements. With your certifying dean, verify your graduation date prior to the deadline date for the term in which you expect to graduate. Remember to notify your certifying dean of any address or telephone number changes.
Cap and Gown
Commencement information, including cap and gown, will be mailed to your permanent address.
Students who need a duplicate diploma must provide our office with the following information:
- A legible copy of a valid government issued ID (ex. Driver’s license, state ID, passport)
- Your written signature (to compare with the one on your ID)
- Previous name (if applicable)
- Year and term graduated
- Degree earned
- Honors (if applicable)
- How you want your name to appear on the diploma
- Address to send the diploma to
- Your E number (if known)
This information can be sent to us by mail, email, or fax, or can be brought in person.
There is a 25.00 fee for each duplicate diploma you order. If you wish to pay by credit/debit card, you will need to provide us with the card number, expiration date, and your written signature. You may also pay by cash, check, or money order, or we can bill your student account.
Diploma covers are handed out at the commencement ceremonies. The actual diplomas are mailed to the address listed on your application card at a later date. This may be up to three months after you graduate.
Note: Participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean you have completed degree requirements and graduated. Your graduation is not official until your certifying dean's office has sent notification of completion of all degree requirements to the Records Office and the degree has been posted to your record.