- Prospective Students
- Events and Opportunities
- Scholarships and Awards
- Research & Creative Activity
- Honors Mentorship Program
The Pine Honors College offers the Honors Study Abroad Scholarship, awarded competitively in three separate rounds per year. Amounts awarded depend upon the availability of funding, and upon the proposed costs and number of applicants in each round.
ELIGIBILITY: Please note that only currently-enrolled undergraduate Honors College students in good standing will be considered for this award.
NOTE: If you win an Honors Study Abroad Scholarship, and your plans change (choice of program or cancellation of program, for instance), you MUST notify the Honors College of the change as soon as possible. This is to ensure that another student may be awarded a scholarship in the case that you cannot apply your scholarship to a study abroad program.
Note that there are three separate rounds of this scholarship. Our deadlines coincide with the deadlines set by the Office of Study Abroad.
However, you may apply in an earlier round. That is, you do not need to wait until February to submit an application for a Summer study abroad application. You may apply in the first round of applications.
If you are planning to Study Abroad during this period
then the deadline for your application is:
2023 Winter Break
2024 Spring Semester
2024 Spring Break
October 28, 2023
February 11, 2024
March 4, 2024
Apply for this scholarship at AcademicWorks (search for Honors Study Abroad)
Instructions: The Honors Study Abroad Scholarship competition is open only to current Honors College undergraduates who are in good standing. For a complete application, you must answer all questions below and have a faculty member submit a recommendation online. Once you have submitted your application, including your letter writer’s email address, you will receive a brief email acknowledging receipt. Contact the Office of Study Abroad to confirm application AND deposit deadlines.
When you apply you will see these questions -
1. Study Abroad Destination and Duration
2. In a few paragraphs, describe the significance of the study abroad experience to your overall studies. Why do you need to go?
3. Provide us with the advertised budget estimate for the costs involved in your Study Abroad (including tuition, direct program costs, travel, and other costs). Itemize these estimated costs and provide a total cost.
4. If you have any documents describing the costs of this program—including the budget sheet filled out with Study Abroad—please upload a copy of that information here.
5. Briefly explain your financial need and a list of other sources of funding for study abroad for which you have applied (or will apply).
6. Previous Study Abroad Experience
7. Provide the name and email address (check for accuracy) of the faculty member who will provide a recommendation on your behalf for the Honors Study Abroad award. DO THIS EARLY!
8. Press Release
We encourage all honors students to study abroad if at all possible. With a wide range of options, scholarship support, and dedicated advisors, the Office of Study Abroad is a great place to start your investigations. Whether you want to study abroad for a semester or for a period of a few weeks, you have great choices for developing your career as a world citizen!
Presidential Scholars are expected to design an "honors experience" that is approved prior to their participation. One potential experience that we encourage students to consider is participation in a study abroad program. We encourage not only the Presidential Scholars to participate in study abroad, but all honors students to consider it as part of their holistic growth. Students typically return reporting that they cannot decide what they have learned more about - the culture of the society they have visited, or themselves!
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to go over any study abroad idea and help you fit it into your career as an Honors student at EIU.
The Sandra and Jack Pine Honors College may have funds available to help students defray the expenses of studying abroad. We have helped Honors students study all over the world!