Qualities of Honors Courses at Eastern
An ideal Honors Course at Eastern Illinois University ...
- Encourages critical and analytical thinking, and provides ample opportunity for structured reflection;
- Incorporates problem-solving skills;
- Engages students in the learning process;
- Sharpens communication skills;
- Is integrative, and connects skills and knowledge gained from multiple courses and experiences;
- Accentuates one-on-one interactions;
- Exhibits inquiry-based learning;
- Encourages collaboration in assignments and projects;
- Encourages intellectual curiosity and intellectual risk taking;
- Evidences openness to new ideas; and
- Demonstrates pedagogical innovation and experimentation.
As appropriate to the scope and focus of the course, Honors courses ...
- Are interdisciplinary;
- Emphasize diversity and global learning, and encourage intercultural knowledge and competence;
- Are writing intensive; and
- Emphasize service-learning and community based-learning in order to allow for real-world application of knowledge.