Community Music Information
Community Music Program
The EIU Community Music Program provides music lessons to people of all ages in Charleston and the surrounding area. Instructors in our program are undergraduate and graduate music majors at EIU and are available to teach piano, voice, guitar and a variety of wind instruments.
In addition to a weekly lesson, there are two recitals each semester giving students in the program an opportunity to perform for their friends and families.
Registration for the program occurs at the beginning of each Fall and Spring semester.
- CMP Student Application (pdf)
- CMP Guidelines (pdf)
- Online Application/Payment
- Instructor Application
EIU Community Music Program Mission Statement:
The EIU Community Music Program endeavors to provide quality musical instruction at affordable prices to community members of all ages in the city of Charleston and surrounding communities. In addition, the program provides valuable teaching experience to undergraduate and graduate music majors who are employed by and mentored in the program.
EIU Community Music Program Goals and Objectives:
- Students will achieve a measurable degree of technical mastery in the appropriate area of study.
- Students will develop an effective work process and a coherent set of ideas and goals appropriate to their level of study.
- Students will develop a significant body of skills sufficient to produce work consistent with the goals of their course of study.
For more information, please contact the program’s director:
Dr. Magie Smith