Scholarship and Undergraduate Research First (SURF)
SURF is designed to encourage participation in faculty-mentored undergraduate research, inquiry, or creative activity. Some examples include:
- Gathering data on people's opinions or experiences
- Developing a business plan
- Creating a website
- Investigating or examining a particular problem or issue
- Service-learning activity
- Group projects
All of these forms of creative endeavors are considered research. You will work with a faculty mentor who can assist you in identifying a project and then plan the steps toward completion.
- A major in either the School of Business, School of Technology
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
Benefits of SURF
Expand your horizons! Give yourself a perspective on the world that stretches beyond the classroom. Integrate what you learn through your coursework into vital skills for your future career. Make every moment of your college experience count!
- Faculty mentors are a great resource, both to encourage you and challenge you in your studies.
- You will build confidence, learn critical thinking and improve your communication skills.
- The research project you complete through SURF will look good on graduate school applications and will stand out on your resume.
- You will be eligible for a monetary award.
- You owe it to yourself! Let SURF help you make the most of your learning at Eastern!
- Identify a faculty member in your area of interest and work in collaboration with the faculty mentor on a teaching, research or service-related project culminating in a reflective paper regarding your experience and a poster presentation.
- Projects may be part of a class, an independent study or an Honors Research course, which is overseen by a faculty mentor.
- Papers will be presented to an internal and/or external audience, most likely in a poster format.
- Monetary awards ($250 - student; $250 - faculty mentor) are available (subject to available funding).
Questions - Please contact the Lumpkin College of Business and Technology Dean's Office: 217-581-3526 or email@example.com.