Recent Searches

Loading Search Results...
Loading Directory Results...



Recent Pages

Recent Searches

EIU Housing


International Students Living in Housing

All First-Year undergraduate students are required to live in the residence halls.  This includes all students with less than 30 college credits earned after high school graduation.  First-Year undergraduate students are not eligible for University Court or University Apartments.  The Office of International Students and Scholars will be your primary contact for all important informationApply now regarding your admission and arrival at EIU. Specific housing information is listed below.

Most international students choose to stay in either Lincoln-Stevenson-Powell-Norton  Halls, Thomas Hall, University Court, or University Apartments since these are the only housing facilities open during break periods. There is a $90.00 per week charge for students choosing to stay over breaks in Lincoln, Stevenson, Powell-Norton or Thomas Halls. If you do not need housing during break periods, you are welcome to live in any of the other residence halls. There is no additional charge for students who live in University Court or University Apartments during break periods. A brief description of each follows:

Lincoln-Stevenson-Powell-Norton Complex is a fully air-conditioned facility located in the center of campus. Lincoln (female hall) and Powell-Norton (male hall) are identical halls, each housing 170 students. Located between Lincoln and Powell-Norton Hall is Stevenson Hall. Stevenson Hall is a ten-story building and is reserved for both male and female students who have completed at least 30 credit hours of college coursework or are at least 21 years of age. Each floor in Stevenson consists of two and three-bedroom suites that house four to six students. Each suite has a private living room and bathroom.

Thomas Hall is a two-tower four-story facility that houses men and women on separate floors. It has a South Quad location and a relaxed atmosphere. Also, Thomas has Honors Student Communities for male and female students.

University Court combines the benefits of on-campus housing with the comforts of apartment living. Staff is on call for emergencies 24-hours a day. University Court is financial aid friendly as all of our billing is done through your student account, with the exception of your electric bill. The apartments have two bedrooms a bathroom, a kitchen/dining area, and a living room. Each apartment is furnished and can accommodate two to four students. University Court is located just south of Andrews Hall within walking distance to nearly everything the university has to offer.  Students must find their own roommates for this complex.

University Apartments provides reasonably priced apartments for families, graduate students, and students 25 years of age or older. There are 36 furnished one-bedroom apartments and 54 efficiency apartments in the University Apartment complex. All utilities including local telephone service, wired internet service, cable television service, water, gas, electric, and trash removal are included in the rent. Only a spouse/partner or dependent child can live with the student in these apartments; non-related roommates are not permitted.


How to Sign Up for On-Campus Housing

Students interested in University Court or University Apartments can complete the contact form at to get additional information.  

Students interested in our Residence Halls should follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Housing Application and pay the $50 Non-refundable Housing Application Fee
  2. Complete the Room and Board Contract and Preference Form
  3. Pay the $100 Housing Down Payment

Most international students are able to complete their housing steps online through MyEIU.  Students must first be admitted to EIU before applying for housing.

Inside the MYEIU portal is a Housing Checklist that will detail the items students need to complete.  Through the MYEIU portal, students will also be given access to RoomSync, a roommate matching app through Facebook.  Students may choose to search for a roommate through this service; otherwise, a random roommate will be assigned.  An assignment letter will be emailed to the student’s EIU Email address.                                                                                                            

The full housing assignment timeline can be found here:

Students who have trouble completing their housing steps online, or who have questions regarding special housing needs can contact us using the form at for additional assistance.


Meals On Campus

Students living in the residence halls are on a room and board plan, meaning meals are included in the housing fee.

Students living in University Court or University Apartments can purchase an optional meal plan. Please stop by the Office of University Housing and Dining Services or call 217-581-5733 for more information once you arrive on campus.

Students may also purchase a meal plan or Dining Dollars if they are not living on campus.

More InformationMy EIU

Do you have a comment, question, or concern about living on-campus?

Related Pages

Contact Information

Housing & Dining Services

MLK Jr., University Union,
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
Fax: 217-581-6489

Take the next step

apply now
schedule a visit