Skip to main content
Eastern Illinois University

EIU Department of Housing


Welcome to Eastern Illinois University!

New freshmen and transfer students will need to apply to Housing through the MyEIU portal.  Current students can visit here.


Apply Now

To live on campus as a New Freshman or New Transfer student, you must submit a housing application and pay a non-refundable $50.00 fee before any other action is taken.  After applying, you will submit a room and board contract where you state specific hall, room, and roommate preferences. The sooner you apply for Housing, the better chances you'll have for priority assignment!  

New Transfer students are welcome to live in any of our residential communities on campus. Many choose Stevenson Hall for the Transfer Living Learning Community. While not all students living here are transfer students, the hall offers the opportunity to live in a connected community that will support your academic success and transition into campus life. New freshmen can live in any Residence Hall except for Stevenson Hall due to the upperclassmen status eligibility. We recommend checking out our Living Learning Communities for new freshmen to find their niche on campus.

Timeline for New Freshman & New Transfers


Students living in the residence halls are on a room and board plan, meaning meals are included in the housing and dining contract.


New Transfer students may also live in University Court. University Court combines the benefits of on-campus living with the comfort of apartment living. Billing is done through your student account, making University Court financial aid friendly.

Apply to University Court



All first-year undergraduate international students are required to live in the residence halls.  This includes all students with less than 30 college credits earned after high school graduation.

Apply Now

Most international students choose to stay in either Lawson, Lincoln, Powell-Norton, Stevenson, or Thomas Halls since they are the only housing facilities open during break periods. There are additional charges per week for students choosing to stay over breaks in the halls. If you do not need housing during break periods, you are welcome to live in any of the other residence halls. 

To live on campus, you must submit a housing application and pay a non-refundable $50.00 fee.  You will then will submit a room and board contract where you state specific hall, room, and roommate preferences. The Office of International Students and Scholars will be your primary contact for all important information regarding your admission and arrival at EIU.




Graduate students can live in the residence halls or one of our two apartment complexes on campus.

The apartments in University Court have two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen/dining area, and a living room. Local telephone service, wired internet service, cable television service, gas, and trash removal are included. You also receive water allowance up to $50 per month but electricity is not included. Each apartment is furnished and can accommodate two to four students.

Timeline for University Court

University Apartments provides apartments for families, graduate students, and students 25 years of age or older. University Apartments is made up of 90 furnished, 1-bedroom and efficiency apartments. All utilities including local telephone service, wireless internet service, cable television service, water, gas, electric, and trash removal are included in the rent. Only a spouse/partner or dependent child can live with the student in these apartments; non-related roommates are not permitted.

Timeline for University Apartments



Roommate Matching App

A service that allows you to choose your own roommates by matching with other students based on lifestyle preferences, academic majors, and mutual friends.




Find Your Roommate


Payment Options:

Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover credit card payments can be made online.

The Cashier's Office will also accept personal checks, cashier's checks, money orders, or cash payments in person. Personal checks, cashier's checks, or money orders may be mailed to:

Cashier's Office
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920

Regardless of the method of payment, the student's E-Number is required at the time of payment. Do not mail cash. Make all checks payable to Eastern Illinois University.

Learn More

Accessibility and Accommodations:

Students requiring special accommodations should contact University Housing and Dining Services and Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at their earliest convenience in order to discuss their particular needs before coming to campus.

Learn More


DiningDiversityPanther Success InitiativeReasons to Live On CampusGet InvolvedHousing OptionsStaff DirectoryContact Us


Housing & Dining Services