Here's where our alumni go in the first few years after college
Among EIU English graduates from the classes of 2010-2015:
- 29% are secondary teachers or employed in other roles in the K-12 education system.
- 16% work in writing, marketing, social media management, or editing.
- 15% are in graduate school in creative writing, composition and rhetoric, literature and other fields.
- 12% are business professionals, with titles like manager, mortgage banker, technical recruiter, or analytics specialist.
- 6% work in higher education, as either faculty or professional staff at colleges or universities.
- 4% work at nonprofit agencies, such as the United Way and Harvest Hope Food Bank.
- The remaining 18% pursue a wide variety of careers, everything from attorneys and librarians to full-time military to professional musicians and comedians.
The English Department supports career planning by helping students explore options as soon as they join the major (in our one-credit orientation course English Forum), bringing career-related speakers to campus regularly, and offering a career development course for seniors. In addition, EIU Career Services offers assistance to all EIU students, and alumni can continue to get support from Career Services throughout their career.
Information and career advice from EIU English alumni
Library and Information Science
College Student Services
Community Service Managers