Faculty and Staff Listing
Rick D Anderson, Professor
Office: 3311 - Old Main
Frequently Taught Courses
- MAT.2420: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II
- MAT.3420: Teaching Mathematics in Grades PreK-6
- MAT.3620: Teaching Mathematics in the Middle Grades
Ph.D., Mathematics Education, Portland State University
M.S., Mathematics, Montana State University
B.A., Music, Valley City State University
B.S.Ed., Mathematics, Valley City State University
A.A., Liberal Arts, North Dakota State College of Science
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Associate Editor, Mathematics Teacher: Learning & Teaching PreK-12
Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics
Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
Illinois Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Instructional strategies for developing elementary students' geometric reasoning
- Mathematics education in rural contexts
Using a discursive framework to analyze geometric learning and instruction. (2019). In Proceedings of the 41st annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. [with P. Wiles]
Engaging students' geometric reasoning with geometry chats. (2019). Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, 24(2), 16-20. [with P. Wiles]
What motivates students to take advanced mathematics: A rural perspective. (2011). In D. J. Brahier & W. R. Speer (Eds.), Motivation & Disposition: Pathways to Learning Mathematics (pp. 99–111). Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
What if we lived in Flatland? (2011). Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 16(7), 400–406. [with J. Princko]
Mathematics course-taking in rural high schools. (2011). Journal for Research in Rural Education, 26(1). [with B. Chang]
Classroom robotics for future elementary & middle level teachers. (2010). Robotics in Education eJournal, 2, 12–15.
Mathematics curriculum for students in rural areas. (2008). OhioJournal of School Mathematics, 58, 25–30. [with P. Davis]
Being a mathematics learner: Four faces of identity. (2007). The Mathematics Educator, 17(1), 7–14.
- Solutions to the shoes for a pen pal problem (Problem Solvers). (2007). Teaching Children Mathematics, 14(4), 217–222. [with J. Bishop]
Selected Conference Presentations
- Viewing Fourth-Grade Students’ Geometric Learning through a Discursive Lens. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Research Conference, Washington, DC. April 25 – 28, 2018. [with P. Wiles]
- Features that Support Enacting Changes in Geometric Discourse. Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators Conference, Houston, TX. February 8 – 10, 2018. [with P. Wiles]
- Classroom Conversations to Support Geometric Reasoning. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Regional Conference, Chicago, IL. December 1, 2017. [with P. Wiles]
- Developing Fraction Number Sense in the Middle Grades. NCTM Regional Conference & Exposition, Louisville, KY. November 8, 2013.
- Learning Mathematics with Classroom Robotics. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, IN. April 15, 2011.
- Mathematics Course-Taking in Rural High Schools. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Research Pre-Session, Indianapolis, IN. April 11, 2011.
- Rural High School Students’ Participation in Advanced Mathematics Classes. NCTM Regional Conference & Exposition, Chicago, IL. September 20 – 22, 2006.
- Creating Short Geometry Tasks to Encourage Discussion. Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference, Tinley Park, IL. October 19, 2018. [with P. Wiles]
- Middle Grades Mathematics Formative Assessment Strategies. Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference, Peoria, IL. October 7, 2016.
- Pondering the Pythagorean Theorem: Problems & Proofs. Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference, Tinley Park, IL. October 18, 2014.
- Sharing & Comparing: Developing Understanding of Fractions. Wisconsin Mathematics Council 42nd Annual Conference, Green Lake, WI. May 7, 2010.
- Classroom Robotics for Grades 6-12. Wisconsin Mathematics Council 42nd Annual Conference, Green Lake, WI. May 7, 2010.
- Strategies for Operations with Whole Numbers. Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference, Peoria, IL. October 19, 2007. [with M. Lassak]
Faculty/Staff Login to Update Info