Hanner Teaching Excellence Award
*Established for CHHS in 2020*
Purpose and Criteria
The Hanner Teaching Excellence Award is designed to celebrate and honor consistent excellence in teaching. It shall be awarded in the spring semester of each academic year. The ideal candidate for the award shall be:
- A faculty member who is recognized by both colleagues and students as a teacher of the highest caliber, passionately dedicated to the learning enterprise.
- A faculty member who is involved in creative teaching and learning activities outside the boundaries of traditional course work (e.g., research on teaching; presentations to other educators; partnerships with P-16 institutions; study abroad; service learning; integrative learning activities).
- A faculty member who challenges students to fulfill their potential as learners.
- A faculty member who demonstrates teaching excellence across all courses offered.
- To be eligible for the Hanner Teaching Excellence Award, a nominee must be a full-time faculty member (tenured, tenure-track, or annually contracted faculty) in the College of Health and Human Services who has completed at least three consecutive academic years of employment at Eastern Illinois University and who has not received the award previously.
- Note - members of the CHHS Research and Scholarship Committee are not eligible for the award.
- Any College of Health and Human Services faculty member or department chair may nominate one eligible faculty colleague for the award.
- Nominations are due by Friday, March 26, 2021
- Nominators should submit the following application materials electronically using the award form below:
- A letter of nomination detailing the reasons for the nomination, as applicable to the award criteria.
- Two letters of support, with at least one from a current or former student of the nominee
- *Application Form* = Hanner Teaching Excellence Award
*Note - No other materials will be considered.
Selection and Awarding Process
- The CHHS Research and Scholarship Committee will serve as the selection committee for the award.
- Only completed applications submitted by the posted deadline will be considered (*11:59 pm on 3/26/2021).
- If a nominee is selected to receive the award by the committee, the recipient will be announced and honored by the College of Health and Human Services.
- The Dean of the College of Health and Human Services will inform the recipient of the selection decision.
- Dr. Mary Anne Hanner (primary donor) will be invited to present the award to the recipient at the annual College of Health and Human Services Research and Scholarship Showcase.