Returning Students - Readmission

Undergraduate Students

Returning undergraduate students, after an absence of more than one semester (spring or fall), need to complete the Returning Undergraduate Student Form at least 10 calendar days prior to the first class day of the term in which they intend to enroll. Students enrolled in the spring semester do not need to complete the form for the next fall semester.

Undergraduate students who attend college elsewhere after matriculating at EIU must submit official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts for all college work must be received before an undergraduate may be certified for graduation.

See the complete policy for returning students in the catalog Readmission.

What was your Academic Standing your last term of attendance?

Good Standing/Academic Warning/Academic Probation:

Academic Dismissal – one time:

  • You must remain out of the university at least one fall or spring semester
  • You may not return during a summer term
  • If you attended elsewhere while you were away, you must provide official transcripts showing a composite GPA of at least 2.00 on a scale of 4.00 in all course work attempted since you last attended EIU.
  • Complete the Returning Undergraduate Student Form
  • You must prepare a written academic plan signed by both the student and Assistant Director of the Success Center.
  • You will be placed on Academic Probation and retain the same cumulative grade point average as when you were dismissed
  • You will remain on Academic Probation as long as conditions stated in catalog are met Academic Probation

Academic Dismissal – more than once:

  • Complete the Petition for Reinstatement
  • Petition must be completed, signed and received (not just post marked) by the following deadlines:

       *Fall Semester – Third Monday in June at 4 p.m.

       *Spring Semester – Third Monday in October at 4 p.m.

Graduate Students

Graduate students who have previously attended EIU and return after an absence of more than one semester (spring or fall) must complete the Returning Graduate Student Form

Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree and have not applied for admission to The Graduate School will need to complete an application. To request an application, e-mail The Graduate School or call 217-581-7488 or 217-581-7489.