Former Undergraduate Students
If you have never completed an application for admission and paid the $30 application fee, you will need to be admitted through the Admissions Office.
Former undergraduate students wishing to return to EIU after a lapse of one or more semesters should submit an undergraduate readmission form at least 10 calendar days prior to the first class day of the term in which they intend to enroll. Students enrolled in the Spring semester do not need to apply for readmission for the next Fall semester.
All students who have attended another institution since attending EIU must present a transcript which meets the criteria for readmission.
Contact your advisor to help you choose a schedule and give you your alternate pin number so you are able to register.
Students Dismissed for Low Scholarship
NOTE: Students who have been dismissed for low scholarship may not re-enter during a Summer term.
Undergraduate students who have been dismissed one time for low scholarship:
- Must remain out of the university for at least one regular semester.
- Are automatically eligible for reinstatement and may re-enter EIU at the beginning of a Fall or Spring semester providing all criteria for readmission has been met. Deadlines for readmission must be met.
- Must enroll in GST 1000 during the term of re-entry as a condition of reinstatement.
- Are placed on academic probation upon reinstatement and re-enter EIU with the same cumulative grade point average they had when dismissed.
- Remain on academic probation as long as the conditions stated in the academic probation section of the university catalog are met.
NOTE: Students failing to make satisfactory progress are dismissed again and must petition to the Academic Reinstatement Committee.
Petition for Reinstatement
Students dismissed for low scholarship more than one time must petition for reinstatement. You may print the petition for reinstatement from the Office of the Registrar website or obtain one by writing to: Office of the Registrar, Eastern Illinois University, 600 Lincoln Avenue, Charleston, IL 61920-3099. You may also e-mail the Office of the Registrar to request one.
Petitions for reinstatement must be completed, signed and returned (not just postmarked) by the following deadline dates:
- Fall Semester — Third Monday in June at 4 p.m.
- Spring Semester — Third Monday in October at 4 p.m.
Criteria for Readmission
Former students who have attended one or more regionally accredited colleges or universities since last attending EIU must meet the following conditions
- The student must provide official transcripts showing a composite grade point average of at least 2.00 on a scale of 4.00 in all coursework attempted at institutions other than EIU.
- If the student is attending a regionally accredited college or university at the time of application for readmission, a statement from that institution indicating that the student is earning at least a 2.00 on a scale of 4.00 will suffice until the official transcript can be sent at the end of the term.
Students who have been academically dismissed are not readmitted until one of the following has been received in the Office of the Registrar:
- An official transcript with student's name and student identification number.
- A letter from the registrar at the transfer institution, which must include the student's name and identification number, the registrar's signature, the college seal, the department in which the course was taken and the course number, the hours earned, the grades earned and verification of good standing at that institution.
Graduate students who have previously attended EIU as an undergraduate, graduate non-degree, provisional, or degree status student and who return after the lapse of one or more semesters must apply for readmission.
Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree and have not applied for admission to The Graduate School will need to complete an application. To request an application, e-mail The Graduate School. You can also call 217-581-7488 or 217-581-7489.
For information about the enrollment deposit, contact the cashier's office at 217-581-3715.