Parents & Family
Frequently Asked Questions - Parents & Family
What is Orientation?
- A program designed to provide an orientation of campus, allow new students to meet with an academic adviser, register for courses and complete several other tasks.
What does Orientation provide?
- Learn about EIU's academic degree requirements
- Meet with an adviser to develop an academic plan
- Use P.A.W.S. to register for your classes
- Become more familiar with campus facilities
- Learn about campus support services and programs
How to register for Orientation?
- Log in to their myEIU, click on View Entire Checklist Here, then Orientation/Transition
- They will also be e-mailed an invitation to the program. The invitation will contain a link to myEIU.
How much does the program cost?
- Student cost will be billed to the student account (there is no Orientation cost for Transfer students). There is an additional fee of $30 for the first guest and $20 for each additional guest (the student is not a guest). This fee covers breakfast, lunch, and program materials. Guest fees can be refunded 100% up to one week of the Orientation day. Less than one week and up to the day of the program is 50% refundable. After the Orientation day the program is 0% refundable. Cash, check, or charge to the student account will be accepted, no credit or debit cards. This cannot be paid on the New Student Enrollment Deposit telephone line.
What does the parent program cover?
- The parent program parallels the student program and will help answer their questions and presentations will be held from different services throughout the day.
How long is Orientation?
- Freshmen students: check-in begins at 7:45am and will conclude at 4:00pm
- Gateway program begins at 7:00am
- Transfer students: check-in begins at 8:15am and will conclude between 12:00pm and 2:00pm, depending on the advising appointment.
What do I need to bring?
- The student will need to bring a state or federal issued picture ID (to receive their Panther Card). School ID's will not be accepted.
What if your student cannot attend Orientation?
- Log in to myEIU, proceed through the registration process. When you are asked to pick a date there will be an option "none of these dates work for me". Select that option and our office will be notified. We will then be in contact with you regarding an alternate orientation.