Incoming Freshman Students
Freshman - Gateway Program
We are so excited to have you join our EIU family!
Your success at EIU is determined not only by the quality of your academic work, but also by how quickly you connect to the EIU campus. EIU requires you to participate in orientation and transition programs to assist you in your transition. These programs are part of our two-part process to becoming an official EIU student.
Part 1: Gateway Orientation, Advisement & Registration
You will attend our Orientation, Advisement & Registration program to complete several important steps:
- Learn the ins and outs of the Gateway Program
- Mandatory placement testing
- Meet with your academic advisor to develop an academic plan
- Use P.A.W.S. to register for your classes
- Learn the ropes from current students
- Get your Panther Card (student ID)
- Become more familiar with campus facilities
- Learn about campus support services and programs
- Meet new classmates and get answers to your questions regarding life at EIU
Coming to Eastern opens a new chapter in your life. The transition from high school to the university setting is an exciting time filled with a myriad of opportunities. This transition also raises a number of questions and concerns regarding your first year here at Eastern Illinois University. We promise your orientation day will provide you with more than a class schedule; it will prepare and excite you for your Freshman year at EIU.
Registering for a program
Once you have paid your New Student Enrollment Deposit of $150 you can sign up for an orientation date through myEIU. Freshman students will be e-mailed an invitation to the program. The invitation will contain a program reservation link to myEIU. Students will need to complete the reservation form online to secure a program date. Click here for a detailed program schedule.
Students Entering Fall 2015 can choose from the following dates (program reservation begins March 1, 2015)
Note: Not all dates are currently open for registration
- Wednesday, June 8, 2016
- Tuesday, June 14, 2016
- Monday, June 27, 2016 (Summer Institute)
- Thursday, June 30, 2016
- Thursday, July 14, 2016
7:45 am - Morning Welcome & Gateway Program Orientation
8:30 am - Academic Orientation
You will participate in EIU's transition program (Prowl) when you arrive on campus for your first semester. This program is designed to assist you with:
- Educational and social opportunities
- Connecting to EIU
- Providing a foundation for personal and academic success
You will learn more about this program during your Orientation, Advisement & Registration day.