Incoming Freshman Students
Frequently Asked Questions- Freshman Students
What is Freshman Orientation?
- The program is designed to provide an orientation of campus, allow new students to meet with an academic adviser, register for courses, and complete several other tasks.
What does Orientation provide?
Learn about academic degree requirements (specific majors require mandatory testing)
Meet with your academic adviser to develop an academic plan
Use P.A.W.S. to register for your classes
Learn the ropes from current students
Become more familiar with campus facilities
Learn about campus support services and programs
Get your Panther Card (student ID)
Meet new classmates and get answers to your questions regarding life at EIU
How to register for Orientation?
Once you have paid your New Student Enrollment Deposit of $150 you can sign up for an orientation date through myEIU. Freshman students will be e-mailed an invitation to the program. The invitation will contain a program reservation link to myEIU. Students will need to complete the reservation form on-line to secure a program date.
After logging in to myEIU, click on View Entire Checklist Here
If you have paid your enrollment deposit, you will see a green box labeled "Orientation/Transition" and will be eligible to register.
If you have not paid your enrollment deposit, you will not see the "Orientation/Transition" box and will not be eligible to register yet.
How long is Orientation?
- One day event; check in begins at 7:45am
- (7:00am for Gateway Orientation)
- Concludes at 4:00pm
What do I need to bring?
- Bring a state/federal issued picture ID (to receive Panther Card).
- School IDs WILL NOT be accepted
How much does the program cost?
Student cost will be billed to the student account. There is a fee of $30 for the first guest and $20 for each additional, the student is not a guest. This covers breakfast, lunch, and program materials. Guest fees can be refunded 100% up to one week of the Orientation day. Less than one week and up to the day of the program, 50% is refundable. After the Orientation day, 0% is refundable. Cash, check, or charge to the student account can be paid at the door, no credit or debit cards. This cannot be paid on the New Student Enrollment Deposit telephone line.
Can my family come?
Family is welcome to attend. We have a parent program that parallels the student program that will help answer questions. Different presenters will give informational sessions throughout the day.
What if I cannot attend Orientation?
- Log in to myEIU, proceed to through the registration process. When you are asked to pick a date, there will be an option "none of these dates work for me". Select that option and our office will be notified. We will then be in contact with you regarding an alternate orientation.
What happens after Orientation?
- Move-In: Each resident should report to the residence hall or apartment complex which they are assigned for check-in.
- Transition to Campus (Prowl) Program offers educational and social opportunities for you to learn about community expectations and how you connect to Eastern – opportunities that will provide you with a solid foundation for both personal and academic success.