Parents & Family
Freshman Event Information
We are so happy your student has chosen Eastern Illinois University to call their new home! New Student Programs wants to do all we can do to help students learn to navigate campus and connect to the university. New Student Programs provides two programs (participation is mandatory) to help with the transition:
Part 1: Orientation, Advisement & Registration
Your student's success at EIU is determined not only by the quality of their academic work, but also by how quickly they connect to the EIU campus.
Students will attend our Orientation, Advisement & Registration program to complete several important steps:
- Learn about academic degree requirements (specific majors require mandatory testing)
- Meet with an academic advisor to develop an academic plan
- Use P.A.W.S. to register for classes
- Learn the ropes from current students
- Become more familiar with campus facilities
- Learn about campus support services and programs
- Get your Panther Card (student ID)
- Meet new classmates and get answers to your questions regarding life at EIU
Coming to Eastern opens a new chapter in your student's life. The transition from high school to the university setting is an exciting time filled with a myriad of opportunities. This transition also raises a number of questions and concerns regarding their first year here at Eastern Illinois University. We promise their orientation day will provide them with more than a class schedule; it will prepare and excite them for their Freshman year at EIU.
Part 2: Transition to Campus Program
This transition program will aid your student in settling into life on campus. The programs starts the weekend prior to each semester and continues through the first six weeks of the semester. This is a fantastic opportunity for them to get involved and learn about many of the programs EIU has to offer! Click here for additional information about the program.