To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into the Historical Administration MA program.
Applications are due by February 1 for admission into the following academic year's class. Interviews are held early in March, and successful candidates are generally notified by late March.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Please send the following to the Historical Administration Program Coordinator:
- Historical Administration Program application (pdf)
- Official transcript from your undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate universities.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably from people who know your academic and museum-related work best and can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
- A typed "Statement of Professional Goals" (700 words), as described on the last page of the Historical Administration Program application.
Please mail all materials for the departmental application to:
Dr. Terry A Barnhart
Historical Administration Program Coordinator
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.