- Type or machine-print all address information.
- Make sure print is clear and sharp.
- Use no less than an 8 point font
- Use simple fonts
- Ensure address characters don't touch or overlap.
- Use single line spacing
- Black ink on a white background is best.
- Maintain a uniform left margin.
- Use upper-case letters
- Omit all punctuation except the hyphen in the ZIP + 4
- Include floor, suite and apartment numbers whenever possible.
- Put the city, state and ZIP Code or ZIP + 4 code in that order on the last line.
- Use standard two-letter state abbreviations.
- When using window envelopes, make sure the complete address is always visible, even when the insert moves. Do not staple enclosures to prevent shift.
- Leave one space between words and two spaces between the state abbreviation and the ZIP + 4 code
Envelope Layout (graphic)
- Address Area.
The complete address should be located within this white area (no return address information). Extraneous (non-address) printing or markings should appear as high on the mail piece and as far away from the address as possible.
- Bar Code Read Area.
Please make sure that this area remains clear of all printing. It's reserved for the bar code that will be printed by the Optical Character Reader (OCR).
Problems arise when:
- ADDRESSES ARE NOT IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS
- Punctuation (! . ?) or Signs ($ % > #) are used
- Fonts are too small or hard to read
- Two or more mailing addresses are on the same line:
RR 1 BOX 215, 834 W STATE ST
(Place the delivery address immediately above the city, state, zip line)
- Zip code is separated from the city and state:
You will get the best possible service if you:
- CAPITALIZE EVERYTHING IN THE ADDRESS
- Use standard abbreviations for street names and suffixes
- Eliminate all punctuation (except the hyphen in the ZIP + 4 Code)
- Use 2 letter state abbreviations
- Use ZIP + 4 Codes
- Make sure the place (not office # or suite) where you want the mail delivered appears on the line immediately above the city, state and ZIP code line, for example:
123 W MAIN ST STE 400
P O BOX 125
But not both on the same line
For complete information on all addressing questions, please use the following link: