The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
Students may begin the program in either the Fall or Spring semester. The department accepts applications to the graduate program throughout the year.
We begin considering applications for the Fall semester on January 19, though we accept applications for the Fall semester throughout the year. Applications will not be considered for admission until they are complete. A complete application includes all the required paperwork for both the graduate school and the Department of Communication Studies. Applications completed on, or before, January 19 will be considered in the initial group of admission decisions and applicants are encouraged to submit application materials before this date.
We also admit graduate students for the Spring semester. We begin considering applications for each Spring semester on September 30 of the previous calendar year, though we accept applications for the Spring semester throughout the year. Applications will not be considered until they are complete. Applications completed on, or before, September 30, will be considered in the initial group of admission decisions and applicants are encouraged to submit application materials before this date.
Students awarded teaching assistantships usually begin in the Fall semester and complete the department's new teacher orientation program before the semester begins and the department’s new teacher training program during their first semester. It is rare for the department to have the ability to offer assistantships beginning in the spring semester. However, if assistantships are available beginning in the spring, applicants will be considered. Please contact the graduate coordinator to inquire about the availability of spring assistantship opportunities.
Important: Please note that you must apply to the graduate school at EIU AND send an application packet to the Department of Communication Studies. The specifics of those application materials can be found in the drop boxes below.
The Department is still accepting applications for Fall 2015!
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Please send the following to the graduate coordinator:
- Three letters of recommendation solicited from individuals qualified to judge and attest to your academic merit and potential, including a completed Reference Request Form from each reference. Reference Request Form (pdf)
- An academic writing sample that demonstrates your preparation for graduate level writing. Typically students chose to send their best research paper from their undergraduate work.
- A goals statement (Explaining why you want a master's degree in communication from EIU, including information about your professional plans, career goals, and research interests. You also may explain any irregularities or special circumstances applicable to your background and elaborate on your special abilities, awards, achievements, scholarly publications, and/or professional history.)
- A resume outlining relevant work or academic experience.
Please mail all materials for the departmental application to:
Dr. Matthew Gill
Department of Communication Studies
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
Please note that the program admission requirements are different than the Graduate School requirements. You may also send the appropriate items above via email to the graduate coordinator: Dr. Matthew Gill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!
Program Admission Requirements
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A complete application.
- A GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- TOEFL scores (for international students only)
- A minimum of 18 semester hours of coursework in communication.
If your undergraduate degree is not is communication and you are not sure if you have the required 18 semester hours in communication courses, send a copy of your transcript to the graduate coordinator, who will evaluate your coursework to determine if you have met the requirement. If you have not met the requirement, the graduate coordinator will counsel you on what you can do to make up the deficit.