Communication Studies MA |
Basic requirements for the M.A. in Communication Studies - Pedagogy Option
- All students must complete a plan of study that includes a minimum of 39 semester hours (including the department core, but excluding CMN 5500, which is required of graduate teaching assistants).
- 3.0 or better grade point average in all coursework.
- No more than 10 hours of "C" credit.
- No more than six hours of classes 4750 to 4999.
- Students must complete 6 hours of thesis or creative thesis credit.
- No more than 9 hours of independent study, creative project, thesis, or creative thesis included on the study plan.
- Demonstration of comprehensive knowledge via core comprehensive exams.
- Completion of a capstone project – either a thesis or creative thesis.
- Completion of the program within five years of the semester you start.
- Completion of one pedagogy class outside the department.
- Completion of Practicum I and II or Practicum I and Internship.
Required Coursework for the M.A. in Communication Studies - Pedagogy Option
Students must complete the department core
- CMN 5000: Quantitative research methods
- CMN 5005: Qualitative research methods
- CMN 5030: Methods of critical inquiry
- CMN 5240: Communication Pedagogy
Students must complete one of the three concentration areas
Human Communication Processes
- CMN 5510: Interpersonal communication
- CMN 5520: Social interaction
- CMN 5530: Intercultural communication
- CMN 5150: Seminar in interpersonal communication
- CMN 5700: Public relations
- CMN 5710: Organizational communication
- CMN 5720: Seminar in public relations
- CMN 5170: Seminar in organizational communication
- CMN 5610: Media criticism
- CMN 5010: Rhetorical theory
- CMN 5180: Seminar in rhetoric
- CMN 5160: Seminar in mass media
Students must complete one pedagogy course outside the department
- CSD 5770: The community college
- CSD 5780: College teaching
Students must complete 6 hours of the following
- CMN 5900: Practicum I
- CMN 5901: Practicum II or CMN 5980: Internship