1. Log in to EIU D2L Brightspace at www.eiu.edu using your EIU username and password.
2. Enter the D2L course in which you want to create the Turnitin assignment.
3. On the course Navbar, choose Assessment, then Dropbox.
4. Next, choose New Folder.
5. After choosing new folder, name the folder, and then select the Turnitin tab (make sure to name the folder first, otherwise you will receive an error asking for a folder name):
6.Once you have selected the Turnitin tab:
A - Check Enable GradeMark for this folder.
(select Automatically sync grades as Draft in Brightspace if you want to transfer grades entered directly into Turnitin GradeMark to the D2L Assignment folders.)
B - Check Originality Check.
(select Allow learners to see Turnitin similarity scores in their submission folder if you want to let your students to see their similarity scores)
C - Choose More Options in Turnitin button to indicate more preferences.
(such as Enable grammar checking using ETS e-rater technology)
(Please Note: GradeMark must be enabled if you intend to use OriginalityCheck.) After GradeMark and OriginalityCheck have been enabled you’ll have access to the full suite of TurnItIn tools.
7. Continue creating this new D2L Dropbox folder by indicating other preferences on the Properties, Restrictions, and Objectives tabs, and then choose Save and Close.
Faculty using the Turnitin tool need to identify this process in their syllabus. Here is EIU's official syllabus statement:
“Eastern Illinois University is committed to the learning process and academic integrity that is defined in the Student Conduct Code (1.1). To encourage original and authentic written work, any written assignment created in this course may be submitted for review to Turnitin.com and will become a searchable document with the Turnitin-protected and restricted use database."
Faculty need to be familiar with the Standards of Student Conduct Codes and the proper EIU procedures for reporting academic dishonesty. The Office of Student Standards provides resources for both faculty and students. If a faculty member feels a student has broken the Standards of Student Conduct, the Notation of Academic Misconduct form must be downloaded and completed by the faculty member.
Anti-Plagiarism Strategies - Faculty Focus
EIU Writing Center
What is Plagiarism?