Department: Office of Inclusion & Academic Engagement
Position: OIAE Graduate Assistant
Contract Date: August 16, 2021 - May 6, 2022
Supervisor: Mona Y. Davenport, PhD
Supervisor contact information: Mydavenport@eiu.edu 217-581-6690
Benefits: $ 1000/month
Duties and Responsibilities: Recruitment, Retention and Community Relations
The Office of Inclusion & Academic Engagement seeks to complement the mission of Eastern Illinois University as they foster civility and raise cultural awareness in the students, faculty and staff. The Office of Minority Affairs provides an academic environment and support structure that is aimed at improving the retention and graduation rates of multicultural students.
- Facilitate the planning and assist with the coordination of Student of Color/Underrepresented/First-Generation retention project.
- Attend Mandatory Professional Staff Training scheduled for August.
- Assist minority recruiter on all pre-collegiate, transfer and high school activities for the department.
- Develop and facilitate workshops per semester
- Co-Teach a University Foundation course (EIU1111)
- Serves as the liaison between recognized student organizations regarding recruitment initiatives.
- Takes leadership in coordinating one or more recruitment phone-a-thons with the Office of Admissions.
- Assist with student training for recruitment [Ambassadors]
- Coordinate departmental representation at university sponsored programs, Open Houses and any area meetings.
- Attend monthly meetings with Director of TRIO/ & Executive Director of Inclusion & Academic Engagement /Graduate Assistants/Intern Students.
- Work on Special project for the Office Inclusion & Academic Engagement
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, OIAE.
- Experience working with First-generation and ethnic minority
- Involvement in undergraduate student organizations
- Familiar with social media platform and possibly ways for assist with communication and marketing