Your future starts now!
You’ll need to take care of a few things right away.
Reserve your Place at EIU!
All incoming freshman students must submit a $150 New Student Enrollment Deposit. After submitting your Enrollment Deposit, you will have the opportunity to sign up for your Orientation date, which is when you will register for your first EIU classes! Orientation dates become available each spring for students enrolling in the fall. You can submit your Enrollment Deposit, and sign up for Orientation, by logging into your MyEIU account.
Submit Deposit Learn more about Orientation
Sign Up for Housing
- Apply for housing - Freshman students are required to live on campus for their first year, and many choose to stay on campus for their second year as well! The housing application includes a $50 non-refundable application fee. Complete your application early so you’re more likely to get the residence hall you want to live in. Some of our halls fill up fast, so we encourage you to complete this as soon as you know you want to be an EIU Panther!
Beginning in February, you will gain access to RoomSync (roommate matching service) in MyEIU after you submit the housing application and fee.
- Complete a room & board contract – Available in early spring for students who have applied for housing must submit their room & board contract for the room assignment to be made. On your room and board contract, you will select which residence hall you want to live in, which meal plan option you would like, and if you have a roommate request.
The optimal date to submit the online contract and preference form is May 1.
Housing assignment letters (confirming your room assignment, roommate pairs and meal plan) are mailed to all students in late May who have submitted a room and board contract and preference form.
- Pay the housing down payment - The housing down payment of $100 is due June 12 regardless of financial aid status. If the housing down payment not received by June 12, the room assignment and contract will be canceled. Make sure you’ve paid your $50 housing application fee BEFORE you make this payment.
Students who apply for housing or submit the room and board contract after May 1 will receive assignment letters in early July, and the housing down payment of $100 is due Aug. 1.
- Start getting ready to move in - More information about Move-In Day will be sent to you in the summer, but you can start getting ready by checking out eiu.edu/housing/list.php.
Complete Your Housing Application Complete Your Room & Board Contract Learn More about our housing options New Student Timeline
All students who want to receive Federal, State, or some forms of Institutional aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will need to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1st of the year before you plan to enroll. 77% of our students receive some form of financial aid to assist with their education. We are here to help!
Submit FAFSA Learn more about Financial Aid
Apply For Scholarships
- Eastern Illinois University is dedicated to you and helping you afford your college education! During the past year, we awarded over 27 million in scholarships and awards to EIU students!
- We offer automatic Merit Scholarships, Honors Scholarships, and Foundation Scholarships. Use the links below to learn more about the application process and deadlines for each of these scholarship opportunities.
EIU Scholarship Search Learn more about Financial Aid
Register for Classes
- Our New Student Orientation is designed to help new students make a smooth transition to EIU and connect them with opportunities to become more involved on campus and meet new people!
- During your Orientation, you will meet with an academic advisor, register for classes, receive your Panther ID Card, and meet other Future Panthers. Our New Student and Family Programs Office is also here to help you transition during your first semester and plans various activities during move-in weekend and the first six weeks of the semester. We are all here to help you make an easy transition to EIU!
- All orientation programs will be conducted virtually if it is not possible to conduct them in person due to COVID-19.
Register for your New Student Orientation Learn more about Orientation and Move-In activities