Applying for Graduation: Graduate Degrees
- Currently, all applications for graduation must be submitted through the PAWS system. Please e-mail questions to Bill Elliott at The Graduate School or phone him at 217-581-2220.
- A degree requirements review, indicating your progress toward completion of the degree requirements, will be mailed to you by the dean of The Graduate School.
- Commencement information (including cap and gown) will be mailed to your permanent address.
- There is no commencement ceremony for Summer graduation. Students completing requirements during the Summer Term will automatically receive information regarding participation in the Fall ceremony.
- Diploma covers are handed out at commencement ceremonies. Diplomas will be mailed to the address you put on the application — this can take up to three months.
- Important: Applications may be filled out and submitted at any time, do not wait until the last minute of the deadline! Please apply for graduation for the semester in which you will have all requirements complete even if you do not plan on participating in the commencement ceremony.
Deadlines for Applying for Graduation
|Summer 2015||July 8, 2015|
|Fall 2015||November 3, 2015|
|Spring 2016||March 23, 2016|
|Summer 2016||July 13, 2016|
|Fall 2016||November 1, 2016|
Participation in Commencement Ceremonies by Exception For GRADUATE STUDENTS
Requesting to graduate by exceptionality allows students to participate in a commencement ceremony prior to the term in which degree requirements are actually completed.
Commencement ceremonies are only offered at the conclusion of the Fall and Spring terms. Because of this, graduate students completing their graduate degree requirements over the summer may be granted permission to participate in the commencement ceremony preceding their final term. The same exception can apply to graduate students with only thesis, internship or practicum left to complete.
Participation in a commencement ceremony does not signify completion of a degree. No student is certified for graduation and awarded a degree and diploma until the appropriate certifying dean has provided the Office of the Registrar with official verification of the completion of all degree requirements.
The deadlines to apply for participating in commencement by exceptionality are:
- The first Tuesday in November for the Fall semester.
- The Wednesday after Spring Break for the Spring semester.
FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY: To apply for exceptionality, please submit this form.
If you are an undergraduate student please go to: http://castle.eiu.edu/~acaffair/Forms/CommencementByExceptionality.pdf
Students with questions can e-mail Bill Elliott, call him at 217-581-2220 or visit The Graduate School office at 1201 Blair Hall.
Requests for Early Certification
If a student has completed all requirements for a graduate degree prior to the end of a semester, he/she may request early certification from the certifying dean of The Graduate School.
Early certification certifies that the student has completed all requirements for a degree and early certification can be posted on transcripts. In addition, a letter from the Graduate School office can be sent to a prospective employer, school district or college/university verifying that all degree requirements were met on a specific date.
The degree is not formally posted until the end of the term. Students wishing to request early certification should submit this form.