College of Sciences Mission
The College of Sciences (COS) at Eastern Illinois University (EIU) seeks to empower all students with knowledge of basic and applied sciences that will allow them to achieve their professional goals and become productive citizens. We work to inspire scientific leadership and outreach to benefit humankind.
The mission of the COS is informed by the following set of collective principles:
- Service to profession
- Service to others
- Social responsibility
- Global citizenship
COS at EIU aspires to provide excellence in undergraduate and graduate education in the sciences and mathematics. By offering coursework in life sciences (Department of Biological Sciences), physical sciences (Departments of Chemistry, Geology/Geography, Physics), social and behavioral sciences (Departments of Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology/Anthropology), health-related sciences (Departments of Communications Disorders and Sciences, Nursing), and quantitative sciences (Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences), COS will:
- Provide for the intellectual, personal, and professional growth of all students;
- Offer dynamic and rigorous curricula based on innovative scientific inquiry;
- Teach individuals to think critically, solve problems, and communicate effectively;
- Integrate knowledge obtained in classrooms with real-world experiences;
- Partner students with expert faculty for mentored research experiences;
- Encourage global citizenship through diverse interactions with people from different cultures;
- Prepare individuals to participate in an evolving, modernizing world that demands ever-changing skills sets;
- Produce life-long learners who contribute to our global society.