Civil Service Positions at EIU
Read about our hiring process before you complete an application!
At Eastern Illinois University, there is open and continuous testing which means that candidates may test for a classification even if a position is not yet vacant. Your scores will be kept on file. Then, the highest scoring candidates of those interested in a vacant position will be eligible for interview.
Applications for all positions are available in person at EIU’s Human Resources Office (Old Main, Room 2020), Charleston IL 61920 or you may submit an application online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php. Eligible candidates will be scheduled to take a civil service examination.
Department of Human Resources – Employment
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
Want to be notified when new Civil Service job openings become available? Click on this link and subscribe to the Civil Service Job Postings Listserv. Subscriber information is confidential. Unsubscribe anytime.
Status (Full-Time and Part-Time) Civil Service
Temporary Extra - Help
Please complete our HR Customer Service Survey to let us know how we can better serve you.
Status (Full-Time) Civil Service
Eastern Illinois University is seeking candidates for one full-time Library Assistant position in Booth Library. This position is part of the Library Technology Services which houses and circulates the library’s media collection and manages the library’s computer labs. The person in this position has responsibility for managing the service desk in the evenings, supervising student workers in the evening, and assisting patrons as needed. This position is primarily customer service with some technology support duties.
Qualified candidates must be a high school graduate or equivalent and have one (1) year of responsible work experience in a library or equivalent setting performing duties comparable to those of a Library Clerk or college coursework in any field as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent (30 semester hours = 6 months; 60 semesters or an Associate’s Degree = 12 months) or anycombination totaling one (1) year.
The work schedule for this position is Sunday through Thursday 4:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a Civil Service Examination. Starting is $12.61/hour. To apply, you may submit a completed application, resume, references, and transcripts online at https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php. Applications must be submitted by April 19, 2017 to ensure consideration.
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
The Health Service is seeking a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner to provide advanced health and psychiatric assessment, utilizing advanced pharmacology and psychopharmacology in collaboration with the medical director, collaborating physician and staff psychiatrist. This person is an active member of multidisciplinary treatment teams and takes referrals primarily from the University Counseling Center, Health Service clinicians, Office of Disability Services, the psychiatrist and other health care professionals. The Health Service provides a full range of primary care services, with on-site laboratory, x-ray, pharmacy and health education services to an exciting student population. Our primary focus is to enhance the ability of our students to participate fully in intellectual and personal growth opportunities afforded by the University.
This is a full-time, 10-month position, with June and July as leave time. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, health and life insurance, retirement program options, tuition waivers and working with a team of dedicated and talented professionals. Benefits may be carried during leave time, and pay may be spread over 12 months. The salary shall be commensurate with experience.
Candidates who possess valid licensure as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner in the state of Illinois will be given preference. Minimum qualifications include certification as an Advanced Practice Nurse by a national certifying organization. Compensation for additional licensure may also be available. Eligible candidates will have a review of credentials through the university. To apply, send a letter of application, resume, names and contact information of three (3) references, Illinois Nurse License, and Advanced Practice Nurse Certification online: https://www.eiu.edu/~humanres/application/login.php . Review of applications will begin Jan. 11, 2016 and continue until the position is filled.
Please see job description below.
Function of Job
In collaboration with the medical director, collaborating physician and staff psychiatrist, provide advanced health and psychiatric assessment, utilizing advanced pharmacology and psychopharmacology.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain the mental health history and perform necessary physical examination and testing to determine the differential diagnosis and treatment plan for the management of psychiatric and mental health disorders, including the differential diagnosis and management of medical disorders with psychiatric symptoms.
- Utilize independent and interdependent decision-making with direct accountability for clinical judgments.
- Manage medication and employ psychotherapeutic interventions for patients with psychiatric and mental health disorders, utilizing evidence-based research.
- Develop and implement health policy as it relates to psychiatric and mental health care.
- Provide leadership in the practice of psychiatric mental healthcare.
- Promote and provide education to patients and the university community on psychiatric and mental health disorders.
- Participate in case management and consultation with others in the mental healthcare community including professionals from Health Service, Counseling Center, Office of Disability Services and outside healthcare personnel.
- Promote mental health and disease prevention.
- Understand pathophysiology as it relates to patients with psychiatric and mental health conditions.
- Work with medical director, collaborating physician and psychiatrist at Eastern Illinois University.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- Licensure as a Family or Adult Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Extra Help (Part-Time As Needed)