Welcome to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)
Eastern Illinois University, located in the east central Illinois community of Charleston, provides the best undergraduate and graduate education of any public university in the region. The University's more than 7,500 students and 430 international students come from 42 nations.
Why Should I Attend EIU?
- Strong Academics: US News and World Reports (2015) ranked EIU as the #1 highest public regional university in Illinois and #5 in the Midwest USA! The University's high academic standing is reflected in high rates of student retention and graduation rates, alumni job placement, and satisfaction among alumni and employers.
- Personal Attention from Distinguished Faculty: EIU features a small faculty-student ratio of 1:16 and 100% of full professors have attained their PHD. Research collaboration between students and professors is strongly encouraged.
- Safe and Friendly: EIU is located in a safe and friendly small town with many opportunities to get involved in the university and local community.
- Prestigious Scholarships Available: Scholarships for high qualifying international students are available.
- Career Opportunities: EIU's career placement rate is 18% higher than the national average!
Where is EIU?
EIU is within three hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, and within easy driving distance of Champaign-Urbana. Convenient rail service to downtown Chicago and Champaign-Urbana is available through the Amtrak train station in nearby Mattoon.
Featured Partnership for Engineering Programs
EIU features a 2+2 partnership with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, one of the best universities for engineering in the world. Students study for 2 years at Eastern Illinois University and two years at UIUC. See here for more details.