EIU invites all to join Homecoming 2022 events
(Charleston, IL) – With the majority of its Homecoming events occurring this week, Eastern Illinois University is once again preparing to celebrate its University pride with students, alumni, faculty, families, and friends in the community in the week leading up to EIU’s October 10-15 Homecoming weekend.
Eastern’s 2022 homecoming theme is “Bring the Beat Back” with events themed around music, celebration and camaraderie. This year's Homecoming Week’s time-honored traditions include the parade, tailgate and football game, pep rally, and pancake breakfast. Meanwhile, the spirit-filled week will still feature a variety of opportunities for EIU students, faculty, staff and alumni to showcase their Panther Pride.
Following the on-campus Homecoming Kickoff Monday afternoon and the Royal Coronation Monday evening to name the event’s king, queen, prince, princess, faculty lord and lady and little prince and princess, the rest of the week’s events by the day include:
- Tuesday, October 11
- Faculty/Staff Blu-B-Que Luncheon in the Doudna Fine Arts Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with a canned food drive, prizes and giveaways.
- Spirit Challenge from 7 to 9 p.m. in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King, Jr. University Union, which pits on-campus teams and organizations against each other is a series of mini-games to earn points toward winning EIU Homecoming’s Spirit Cup.
- Wednesday, October 12
- Homecoming Family Fun Night from 5 to 7 p.m. in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King, Jr. University Union, complete with jumbo yard games and BINGO.
- Cosmic Bowling Mixer I in the University Ballroom Bowling Alley and Billiards Center, from 7 to 9 p.m. with 12 lanes of glow-in-the-dark bowling, mocktails, popcorn and pizza. Free shoe rental, discounted games and homecoming prize giveaways will also be part of the fun.
- Thursday, October 13
- Homecoming Skating Party in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King, Jr. University Union from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Because of its popularity, Cosmic Bowling Mixer II will take place in the University Ballroom Bowling Alley and Billiards Center, from 7 to 9 p.m. with 12 lanes of glow-in-the-dark bowling, mocktails, popcorn and pizza. Free shoe rental, discounted games and homecoming prize giveaways will also be part of the fun.
- Friday, October 14
- Alumni Legacy Campus Tours from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with legacy gift bags from the Office of Admissions.
- 50th Class Reunion—Class of 1972 starting at 4 p.m. in the MLK Jr. Union with campus tours, pinning ceremony, social reception, dinner and donor recognition.
- In a new event, the EIU Homecoming 2022 Block Party will take place from 7 to 10 p.m. in the O’Brien Stadium Parking Lot. The event will feature a live performance from 90’s Daughter—Central Illinois’ premier party/cover band; food trucks, a beer/seltzer garden (photo ID required for entry into beer garden area), EIU VIP appearances, and a variety of games and giveaways. The entire community is invited to attend the 2022 Block Party!
- Saturday, October 15
- Rotary Pancake Breakfast from 6:30 to 10 a.m. in Dirty’s parking lot
- 24th Annual Homecoming 2.5K Race starting at 9 a.m. on 6th and 7th Streets
- Homecoming Parade beginning at 9:30 a.m. on 6th and 7th Streets
- Homecoming Tailgate from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at O’Brien Stadium parking lot
- Homecoming Football Game starting at 2 p.m. at O’Brien Field
- Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner starting at 6 p.m. in the MLK Jr. Union Grand Ballroom
More details about each of these EIU Homecoming events is available at eiu.edu/homecoming.
For more information about EIU, or to learn more about its growing assortment of programs and services, visit the university’s website at www.eiu.edu, or call EIU’s public information office at 217-581-7400.