IMPORTANT COMMENCEMENT UPDATE: 6 p.m. Ceremony Being Moved Ahead Due to Weather
A message from Alumni Services regarding Saturday, May 8's commencement activities:
Attention EIU College of Liberal Arts & Sciences: Your commencement ceremony time has changed!
As we continue to monitor the weather forecast for Saturday's Spring Commencement, we have made the decision to move the 6 p.m. ceremony because of expected rain. We made the decision early so graduates in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences have time to make arrangements to participate in one of the other three ceremonies. The dean and faculty from the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences will be participating in the 3 p.m. ceremony, but you may choose to participate at the 9 a.m., noon or 3 p.m. ceremony, whichever is most convenient for you and your guests. You do not need to inform us which ceremony you choose to attend, and your tickets will be transferable.
Graduates will still need to arrive one hour before their ceremony, with check-in at the south end of O'Brien Field. Please arrive in your regalia, and graduate students should wear their hoods. Will call tickets can be picked up on Saturday, May 8, at the ticket window on the east side of O’Brien.
FOR YOUR GUESTS
- Masks must be worn and guests must follow social distancing guidelines while in the stands.
- Gates allowing guests to enter will open 45 minutes before the ceremony.
- Individuals with proof of full vaccination will be able to enter without a ticket. An individual is considered to be fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving a final vaccine dose, so guests will need to have received final doses no later than April 24. Those entering without a ticket will need to enter through Gate 1 and have proof of vaccination and a photo ID.
- O'Brien Field is located on Grant Avenue in Charleston. If you are traveling on Highway 16/Lincoln Ave. into Charleston from the east or west, turn south on Fourth Street. Continue south to the first intersection and turn west (Fourth Street and Grant Avenue). This diagram shows the parking areas around O'Brien Field.
- Additional handicapped parking spaces will be available in the southeast corner of the O’Brien parking lot.
- Each ceremony also will be live-streamed by WEIU-TV. The link to the live stream can be found on the commencement website the day of the ceremony.
- Any additional weather-related decisions will be made by 5 p.m. on Friday, May 7.
- In the event of inclement weather, additional information will be e-mailed to your EIU e-mail address.
For more information, visit eiu.edu/commence or contact the Alumni Services office at 217-581-6616 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Friday, May 7.