Resident Assistants (RAs) are student peer leaders responsible for learning communities in university housing here at Eastern Illinois University. The RA position provides real-life experiences in working with and helping other people, conflict resolution, team building and many others. The position is a premiere leadership experience and one of the most challenging and fulfilling student leadership opportunities at EIU.
RAs are compassionate, responsible, fun, and out-going student leaders who create a welcoming environment and serves as a resource to their residents. The RA position is more than just a job; it is a leadership journey that offers infinite opportunities for one’s success and development at EIU and beyond.Take a look at the RA Job Description also see What our Resident Assistants are saying.
Qualifications for the position
- I will be a full-time EIU student (registered for 12 credit hours or more) in the spring semester. If hired, I will be a full-time EIU student during my term of employment. (Note: Lakeland College of Nursing students are not eligible)
- I plan to have 24 credit hours by the start of NEXT fall semester.
- I understand that I must have a cumulative GPA 2.5 or higher when grades are posted at the end of this fall semester, and if hired, for my term of employment I understand I must maintain the department's minimum GPA requirement. (NOTE: Applicants with GPA's of 2.5 or lower when fall grades are posted will not be considered for employment.)
- I will have lived in University Housing for two semesters prior to my term of employment.
- I am in good judicial standing with the university. If not, please explain: Randall Bogard
Timeline for the Resident Assistant Hiring Process
|Oct. 8th||RA Applications Available Online|
|Oct. 8th||RA Informational Meetings at 4pm||Charleston/Mattoon Room, MLK Union|
|Oct. 17th||RA Informational Meetings at 7pm||Coleman Auditorium, Coleman Hall|
|Oct. 21st||RA Informational Meetings at 5pm||Arcola/Tuscola Room, MLK Union|
|Nov. 9th||RA Applications Due by 4:00pm|
|Nov. 26th-30th||In-Hall Interviews||TBA|
|Jan. 31st-Feb. 2nd||Departmental Interview for RA candidates||TBA|
|Feb. 18th||RA Letters delivered to candidates|
|April 7th-8th||RA Workshop Week 1||TBA|
|April 14th-15th||RA Workshop Week 2||TBA|
|April 21st-22nd||RA Workshop Week 3||TBA|