Internship and Practicum
The Department of Communication Studies believes experiences that take students outside the traditional classroom are beneficial. Therefore, the department offers internship and practicum credit for juniors and seniors.
An internship (CMN 4275) is usually an off-campus experience, involving activities which are professional in nature. Some internships may be paid, but many are not. Whether a student is paid or not has no impact on approval or credit for the student.
A practicum (CMN 4375) is an on-campus experience under the direction of a Communication Studies faculty member. Practicum students typically serve as course assistants, research assistants or lab assistants. Practicum experiences are almost always unpaid.
To enroll in an internship or practicum course, the student must meet the following qualifications:
- Junior or senior standing.
- GPA of at least 2.75 overall or 3.00 in the major.
- Completion of at least 12 hours of Communication Studies courses.
A student may count a maximum of six hours of internship or practicum credit toward the Communication Studies major. A student may count a maximum of 12 hours of internship or practicum credit toward the total hours needed for graduation.
One hour of internship or practicum credit may be earned for every 40 hours worked. For example, a student signing up for three hours of credit needs to work at least 120 total hours.
Internship (CMN 4275) and Practicum (CMN 4375) are graded on a credit/no credit basis. The final grade in the course does not affect the student's grade point average. Each student is evaluated by his/her on-site supervisor, as well as the department's internship/practicum coordinator. Participation alone does not warrant a grade of CR for the course.
It is the responsibility of the student to identify and secure his/her internship or practicum. After you have arranged an internship, you need to meet with the internship/practicum coordinator to complete three tasks:
- Fill out the Internship/Practicum Application.
- After your application has been approved by the Internship/Practicum Coordinator, you will receive the Internship/Practicum Contract. Fill out the contract and return it to saking@eiu.
- You will be registered for internship or practicum hours. The section number reflects the number of hours of credit. For example, CMN 4275-006 would be an internship for six semester hours. CMN 4375-003 would be a practicum for three semester hours of credit.
While doing an internship, you should keep a daily log. Each week, submit your log to the drop box in Desire2 Learn. You are encouraged to keep a portfolio of work samples to supplement the logs. The exact nature of the portfolio will depend on the nature of the internship/practicum.
At the end of the internship/practicum, you are required to write a final report and submit it to the drop box in Desire2Learn. A final evaluation form will be sent to your supervisor. Your grade will be based upon this evaluation, the content of your logs and the final report.
Communication Studies students have completed internships at a variety of organizations both in and out of state. Examples include:
- Disney College Program (Orlando, Florida)
- American Red Cross (Springfield, Illinois)
- University of Dreams (San Diego)
- Bunim Murray Productions (Van Nuys, California)
- Eastern Musical Festival (Greensboro, North Carolina)
- Total Quality Logistics (Chicago)
- New Orleans Saints (New Orleans)
- CMT Country Music Television (Nashville, Tennessee)
- City of Effingham Convention and Visitors Bureau (Effingham)
- Country Financial (Libertyville, Illinois)
Internship and Practicum Director
For more information about internship or practicum credit, contact Dr. Stephen King, Chair and internship/practicum coordinator, at 217-581-2016 or email@example.com.