Political Science Academic Advising
Political Science majors at Eastern Illinois University receive close attention in academic advising from our three academic advisers, Dr. Kevin Anderson, Dr. Jeff Ashley, and Mr. John Morris. They work directly with you on course selection, career planning, and degree options, including General Education requirements, transfer credit, and study plans.
- Most students begin meeting with the Political Science advisers once they have earned 15 credits. Prior to that stage, you will meet with your adviser in 9th Street Hall. But feel free to introduce yourself to any of the advisers early--they are happy to chat!
- Academic advisers can also connect you to other department advisers and mentors, including the Pre-Law coordinator, Dr. Karen Swenson, Department chair, Dr. Melinda Mueller, and Graduate coordinator, Dr. Ryan Burge.
- You must meet with your adviser before registration each term. You can sign up on their office door usually beginning in mid-September and early-February. At your advising meetings, you will obtain the pin number required to complete registration.
Prior to your advising meeting, you should do the following:
- Review your current degree audit in PAWs
- Update your degree checklist
- Review the upcoming schedule and make a list of potential classes
- Make a list of questions you want to ask your adviser
- Good questions may include topics like departmental Honors, internships, study abroad, the accelerated graduate program, selecting a minor, graduate/law school, or government simulations (MIG/Moot Court)