Nearly two years after fire severely damaged Eastern Illinois University’s historic Blair Hall, its former occupants are preparing to move back into the renovated and expanded building.
Faculty and staff members who have had temporary quarters throughout the campus and community will return to Blair Hall on a tentative staggered schedule.
(Please note that the move-in schedule changed on March 30, 2006, affecting the first two move-in days. The following tentative schedule reflects the revised dates.)
● On April 6 , the following offices are to move to Blair Hall’s second floor: general counsel (from the Worthington Inn), the bachelor of arts in general studies degree program (from Consolidated Communications Inc.) and the School of Continuing Education dean’s office (from Consolidated).
● On April 7, the following offices are to move to Blair Hall’s second floor: the Center for Continuing Professional Development (from Consolidated) and the Office of Off-Campus and Contract Credit Programs (from Consolidated).
● On April 10, the following offices are to move to Blair Hall’s first floor: The Graduate School dean’s office and certification office (from Consolidated) and the Office of Minority Affairs (from Ninth Street Hall).
● On April 11, the following offices are to move to Blair Hall’s first floor: International Programs (from Booth Library), Study Abroad (from Lawson Hall) and Research and Sponsored Programs (from Consolidated).
● On April 12, the following offices are to move to Blair Hall’s third floor: African-American Studies (from Lawson Hall) and the sociology and anthropology department (from Pemberton Hall).
● On May 8, the Gateway Program is to move from Ninth Street Hall to Blair Hall’s second floor. Also on May 8, due to renovations at Lantz Arena, the health studies department is to move from Lantz Arena to Pemberton Hall.
In an unrelated construction-led move, the health studies department is to move from Lantz Arena to Pemberton Hall due to renovations at Lantz Arena on May 8.
Phone numbers and e-mail addresses for the affected offices and employees are expected to remain unchanged.
The university thanks the campus and community for its patience during the relocation and adjustment period. A dedication ceremony and tours are planned for April 24. Details will be announced at a later date.
Blair Hall was the third building on campus when it was completed just south of Old Main in 1913.
After an April 2004 fire destroyed the upper levels of the structure, workers began restoring the building and creating an addition on its west side. For information on the status of the project, see the website at www.eiu.edu/physplnt/blair.html.