EIU BOT meeting results—November 17, 2023
EIU celebrates naming of the Groniger Arena & Charles P. Lantz Complex
(Charleston, IL) — Eastern Illinois University’s second regular Board of Trustees meeting of the 2023-24 academic year took place Friday afternoon, November 17, in the Tarble Arts Center.
Major highlights and outcomes of the meeting included:
- The naming of Groniger Arena at Charles P. Lantz Complex. Jerry Groniger has been a longtime supporter of EIU and Panther Athletics, including the EIU Panther Club, EI&U Expect Greatness Campaign, and WEIU-TV & Radio, and was the 2019 EIU Panther Club Glen Hesler Award Winner. He also was a member of the EIU Athletic Hall of Fame’s 2022 class. Further, the University recommended formally renaming the “Charles P. Lantz Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Building” as “Charles P. Lantz Complex” to honor the many contributions of Charles P. Lantz to the University. Lantz was director of Athletics, coach, and professor and chair of Physical Education at EIU from 1911 until 1952.
- The approval of a four-year successor agreement with Operating Engineers 399, a group of seven stationary engineers responsible for operating EIU’s steam plant.
- Approval of EIU’s primary Athletics apparel partner from July 2024 through June 2029, which also will give other campus departments the ability to order licensed apparel.
Other noteworthy informational items on the agenda included:
- An overview of EIU’s cybersecurity capabilities and processes.
- An annual update on the number of Earned Degrees EIU has awarded over the past academic year.
- A review of EIU-associated camps and conferences over the past year, including Illini Boys’ and Girls’ State, Smith-Walbridge Clinics, the IHSA Girls’ and Boys’ State track meets, Panther Cheer Camps, Golden Apple Summer Institute, Johnson Flight Academy, and a variety of others.
- A report detailing more than $6.8 million in research/public service grants & contracts EIU has secured from July 2022 through June 2023.
EIU prepares students to accomplish their life goals through a combination of quality academics, personal relationships, and both on-campus and online learning opportunities. For more information about Eastern Illinois University, including its broad array of academic and career readiness programs, or any of EIU’s other community-based services and opportunities, visit eiu.edu or call EIU’s public information office at (217) 581-7400.