EIU to offer empowered researcher workshops at Booth Library
(Charleston, IL) -- Students who need help with research this semester can look to Eastern Illinois University's Booth Library, which will offer 30-minute research sessions during September and October. Students are invited to come and learn about the library, how to search using keywords, how to locate an article or book, and more.
All workshops are free and will take place in the e-classroom on the fourth floor of the library. Registration is encouraged but not required. Sign up is available at https://eiu.libcal.com/calendar/workshops.
- Sept. 13, 7 p.m., and Sept. 14, 12:15 p.m.: Learn about the different learning spaces and people at Booth Library and how to sign up for a study room and make an appointment with a librarian for research help.
- Sept. 20, 7 p.m., and Sept. 21, 12:15 p.m.: Learn about technology, creative studio spaces and online research tools available through the library to help with class projects and personal research interests. Also learn how to check out laptops from the CSI, sign up for studio spaces and use the 24/7 online chat feature for help anytime.
- Sept. 27, 7 p.m., and Sept. 28, 12:15 p.m.: Learn the best way to search a database or the library catalog: keywords! Students will practice breaking down a topic sentence or thesis statement into keywords and look at strategies for finding synonyms.
- Oct. 4, 7 p.m., and Oct. 5, 12:15 p.m.: Learn the difference between a scholarly article and trade publication and the easiest way to find these materials. Students will practice using EBSCO search on the library website to locate articles that meet all of research criteria.
- Oct. 11, 7 p.m., and Oct. 12, 12:15 p.m.: Learn the how to locate a book in the electronic catalog, and then how to actually find it on the shelf.
For more information about Booth Library, check the library website, www.library.eiu.edu, or find Booth Library on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
For more information about EIU, or to learn more about its growing assortment of programs and services, visit the university’s website at www.eiu.edu, or call EIU’s public information office at (217) 581-7400.