EIU invites all to show their Panther Pride during Homecoming events
[CONTRIBUTING AUTHOR: MORGAN AUSTIN]
(Charleston, IL) – With the majority of its Homecoming events approaching in the next few days, Eastern Illinois University is once again preparing to celebrate its EIU Pride with students, alumni, faculty, families, and friends in the community. The university welcomes everyone to join in Eastern’s 2019 Homecoming festivities.
This year, Eastern’s Homecoming theme is “Game On!” with events themed around board games that everyone and anyone can enjoy. Board games will be put on display around campus, and these games will also be integrated into the traditions, decorations, and competitive activities that Homecoming will have to offer.
Some events have already taken place, including the Rush Hour Kick-off on the Library Quad on Monday. Golf Cart Trivia began Tuesday, and will continue through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day with prizes and giveaways for those who participate. On Tuesday night, a variety of families visited the “Who’s Got Game” Family Fun Night on in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.
Remaining Homecoming 2019 events include:
- Wednesday, October 23
Glow Bowling at the Union Bowling Lanes from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Thursday, October 24
EIU’s Homecoming Coronation Ceremony will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. in the South McAfee Gymnasium. This year’s Homecoming King and Queen will be announced, followed by a Pep Rally.
- Friday, October 25
Doudna Fine Arts Center will host a performance at 7:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall. There will also be a Comedy Showcase from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union featuring T. Murph with Vincent Bryant. EIU will also host an Alumni Class of 1969 Reunion, which will start with a tour of campus and social hour at 4 p.m., followed by dinner and a ceremony at 5 p.m. in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.
- Saturday, October 26, Homecoming will host its last day of events with a jam-packed schedule, featuring:
- A Rotary Pancake Breakfast from 6:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the Dirty’s Restaurant parking lot. Proceeds from this breakfast will go to various charities around the Charleston community.
- The 20th Annual 2.5k Race/Walk starts at 9 a.m. with participants racing around Charleston Square. People of all ages from the community are invited to attend and participate in the race. Those who finish in the top place of their division will also win special prizes.
- EIU’s 2019 Homecoming Parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. The parade will start on 7th Street and Lincoln Ave. heading north, and will end on Division Street and Grant Ave. heading south toward the stadium. The annual Homecoming parade is a tradition at EIU and will have over 100 entries on floats that include people from all across campus and the surrounding community.
- The 2019 Homecoming Football Game will see the Panthers face off against Eastern Kentucky University beginning at 2 p.m. at O’Brien Field. Prior to kickoff, EIU will also host a Homecoming Tailgate from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the O’Brien Field Parking Lot
- The 2019 Alumni Awards Dinner will be held in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, starting with a 6 p.m. cocktail reception and an awards dinner at 7 p.m. Ten EIU alumni will be presented with awards at the dinner to recognize them for their honorable personal and professional accomplishments and their connection to EIU.
More details about EIU’s 2019 Homecoming events are available at http://www.eiu.edu/homecoming/index.php.
For more information about EIU, or to learn more about its growing assortment of programs and services, visit the university’s website at www.eiu.edu, or call EIU’s public information office at (217) 581-7400.